- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, August 3, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree with a major in English, Literature, or applied linguistics, OR
- Master's degree and 18 graduate semester hours in English, Literature or applied linguistics OR
- Masters (M.A., M.F.A.) in Journalism, Technical Writing, Writing, or Creative Writing may be considered.
The English Instructor (9 month contract) position will be based on the Harnett County campus in Lillington and may include course sections in Lee, Chatham or some online duties.
The purpose of an instructor at the Central Carolina Community College is to ensure maximum student learning. The instructor accomplishes this by presenting discipline specific learning outcomes through lecture, demonstration, projects, assignments, appropriate classroom management, etc. and by providing authentic student assessment that documents learning has occurred.
- Teach 18-28 contact hours per semester.
- Prepare, maintain, and distribute for all scheduled courses current course outlines and syllabi that support accreditation standards as described in the current faculty handbook.
- Prepare for and meet classes as assigned, promptly evaluate student progress within one week and maintain a safe learning environment.
- Demonstrate concern for student retention by employing best practice strategies.
- Serve as student advisor as assigned.
- Work in the Writing and Reading Center as tutor, as determined by the Humanities Chair.
- Teach a variety of students, including those currently enrolled in high school
- Recruit for department/curriculum as assigned by the supervisor.
- Assist in the annual Compliance Assist Assessment.
- Assist in maintaining department/curriculum equipment, supplies, and materials, and library and support resources.
- Assist in registration and orientation as requested by the supervisor.
- Participate in scheduled and called departmental, faculty, staff meetings and other College activities.
- Keep supervisor informed of matters pertaining to the curriculum.
- Assume other duties as requested by the supervisor and the College.
- Follow policies stated in the policies and procedures manual as it relates to instructor responsibilities.
- Obtain a Blackboard Level I training as well as maintain a Bb course site for each course taught during the semester.
- Work the required 35 hours per week and post and hold the required five (5) office hours per week.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Plan and participate in articulation activities with public schools and other community
- Complete the five-hour staff development requirement.
- Submit records and forms in a timely fashion as required in the policy and procedures
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Actively participate in professional organizations.