VGCC Main Campus
Henderson NC 27536
Closes: Thursday, April 19, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
• Associates degree with a broad understanding of the US Department of Labor/OSHA regulations, and 3 to 5 years of related work experience with an understanding of the federal, state, and local Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) laws, rules, regulations, and policies; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Knowledge of training techniques, laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to environmental health and safety.
• Knowledge of basic principles of industrial hygiene, chemical hazards and reactions, electrical and industrial maintenance processes, and fire technology.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
• Valid NC Driver’s License.
• Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Chemistry, Industrial Engineering, Biological Sciences, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, or related fields, and 3 to 5 years of related work experience with an understanding of the federal, state, and local Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) laws, rules, regulations, and policies; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Extensive knowledge of hazard/risk analysis to apply EPA, OSHA, and NFPAregulations to address moderate to highly complex health/safety issues.
• OSHA Certification, MESH Certification, or other related certifications and credentials.
• Identifies and anticipates environmental health and safety concerns by inspecting environmental, operational, and occupational conditions, investigates violations, and develops and recommends safety policies and programs.
• Enforces college-wide safety policies in accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, including working with Human Resources in the preparation and submission of required OSHA and other federal and state reporting requirements as needed.
• Maintains and updates various College safety and emergency plans, including building evacuation, exposure control, chemical hygiene, and hazard communication.
• Directs and supervises multi-campus hazardous and infectious waste disposition in accordance with local, state and federal regulations, including spill remediation.
• Collects and investigates information pertaining to on-the-job injuries and accidents, including working closely with Human Resources and insurance company representatives on workers compensation claim related issues.
• Maintains and enforces the data compliance for hazardous materials, blood-borne pathogens and Chemical Hygiene, including SDS (Safety Data Sheets) for all chemicals stored on campuses.
• Assists and directs various curriculum departments during the accreditation process on a regular basis as it relates to safety procedure requirements and protocol compliance.
• Serves as the primary liaison for the College in facilitating the annual safety inspections with Blue Ridge Environmental Health and Safety Institute (EHSI), including follow up and corrective action of inspection findings as it relates to fume hood and eye wash station testing, and proper storage of chemicals.
• Serves as the primary liaison in facilitating the college-wide annual building inspections with the NC Department of Public Instruction.
• Serves as the primary liaison in facilitating the regular maintenance of college-wide fire alarm systems, including annual testing and emergency repairs.
• Serves as the primary liaison in facilitating the monthly inspections of college-wide fire extinguishers.
• Serves as the primary liaison in facilitating the college-wide annual elevator inspections with the NCDOL, including the contracting of monthly service and as-needed repairs to elevators.
• Builds relationships and serves as the primary liaison with federal, state and local authorities in matters related to environmental health and safety.
• Inspects and performs the monthly testing on college-wide exterior lighting, emergency lighting, signage, and other active and passive life safety systems.
• Assists Campus Security with maintenance of college-wide AED (Automated External Defibrillator) units.
• Coordinates and conducts (2) fire drills annually for College facilities.
• Develops and maintains building evacuation procedures, including floor plans.
• Assists College Administration with the development and updating of the college-wide Facilities Master Plan.
• Maintains current knowledge in the field of facilities management and maintenance, and assists the Vice President of Finance and Operations in establishing, implementing, and updating facility related policies and procedures in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Develops and facilitates ongoing environmental health and safety training opportunities for college-wide faculty and staff.
• Develops and facilitates ongoing college-wide personal health and wellness initiatives that create awareness, motivation, and resources for employees to help them adapt and maintain well rounded healthy lifestyles.
• Studies and attends OSHA training classes as needed in order to ensure compliance with federal, state and local safety regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned, including projects, special events and committee work.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Vance-Granville Community College
Human Resources Department
252-492-2061 Ext. 3462