Flat Rock, NC
Closes: Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
The purpose of this position is to promote the Blue Ridge Community College Conference, Meeting and Performance Space as a desirable venue through lead generation, solicitation, qualification, booking, planning, coordination and communication of successful events via personal calls, presentations, telemarketing, public relations, familiarization site visits, bid proposals and other. Act as liaison between client, vendors and BRCC teams to ensure seamless execution of events. Represents BRCC to business and community entities in a professional manner at all times.
If you are interested in learning more about this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser to apply directly on our website.
What You'll Be Doing
- Market/ develop/ solicit/ network business activity for the conference, meeting and performance space to qualified organizations/ associations.
- Responsible for qualifying, booking, planning, managing and evaluating single-use and repeat event business such as seminars, concerts and general business meetings.
- Work in partnership with College divisions and departments and associated entities to schedule events on campus.
- Conduct site visits for potential future clients, solicit affiliate groups while in-house and actively prospect for new accounts.
- Obtain meeting details from clients i.e. set-up, audiovisual requirements, food and beverage and lodging needs.
- Organize events in support of BRCC’s mission and marketing plan.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing as it relates to the event details such as event logistics, floor plans, and contracts; and, facility usage.
- Responsible for the timely distribution of event criteria to internal and external Conference & Meeting Space teams.
- Ensure maximum revenue is captured for events while protecting the assets of the property - manage internal budget and facilitate event budget process.
- Work closely with program management and conference management in developing a client-focused agenda.
- Maintain full knowledge in operating strategies, i.e. fire marshal regulations, beverage laws, ADA regulations, space capacities, engineering, audiovisual, equipment inventory, entertainment policies, and security procedures.
- Direct all parties internally and externally in logistics such as set-ups and all client's needs.
- Prepare program and promotional materials for the conference & meeting space.
- Respond to client questions and problems.
- Create/ facilitate presentations re: conference & meeting space as well as assist clients with program/ event needs.
- Participate in industry shows and conventions.
- Evaluate new trends and processes within the business.
- Maintain membership in at least one support affiliation, and attend regular meetings.
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Keep a client contact log. Needs to have dates and times of contact with the college.
- May require some evenings and weekends when needed.
- Serve on the College’s Graduation Committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Tourism, Public Relations or Hospitality Administration. Associate degree with extensive bona fide professional exempt-level employment may also be considered.
Minimum of 2 years of event planning or closely related industry experience is required. Completion of an Event and Meeting Planning Certification Program a plus.
Skills and the Know-How
- Excellent knowledge of meeting industry terminology and comprehensive knowledge of meeting planning processes.
- Knowledge of media relations and publicizing events.
- Familiar with the target audience – generate/ monitor a marketing business plan.
- High level of professionalism – react appropriately under pressure - exemplify excellent customer service
- Must be self-motivated, articulate, and creative and possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to develop/ maintain relationships - collaborate with a diverse client base.
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple requests concurrently and work in a quick changing environment.
- Provide creative ideas and unique design concepts.
The ideal person will possess strong personal and professional integrity, good verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to safety. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite or similar products, database systems, College email and Web site, and other computer applications associated with the position.
The ability to perform all duties associated with the position including, but not limited to lifting, prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and operating or performing work with associated tools and machines.
Blue Ridge is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution
Job Post Contact