Downtown Wilmington, NC
Closes: Monday, January 6, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, HR administration or a related field.
- Ten or more years of increasingly responsible experience in all phases of human resources management administration.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague, PeopleAdmin or other HR/Payroll Solutions
- Experience implementing and configuring HRIS systems, modules or solutions
- NC Retirement System and State Health Plan knowledge and experience
- HR experience within a Higher Education work environment
- Title IX Certification
To direct, manage, supervise, and coordinate the programs and activities of the human resources function including recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, group benefits administration and personnel records; to coordinate assigned activities with other college departments, divisions, and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the President of the college.
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities of the Human Resources Department.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs including recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, group benefits administration and personnel records; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommend, comply and administer policies and procedures.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement and review with the President of the College; implement improvements.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate Human Resources Department staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for the Human Resources Department; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Responsible to develop and lead a progressive staff development program.
- Responsible to develop and manage a process to create, develop and maintain policy and procedures manuals throughout the college.
- Serve as liaison for the Human Resources Department with other college departments, divisions, and outside agencies; negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the President of the College; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Assist in the preparation and revision of job descriptions for all college classifications; update job description manual as appropriate.
- Conduct a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommend modification to personnel programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Direct and participate in the administration of the classification and compensation plan, recruitment and selection, and employee grievance procedures. Administer a system of personnel records; ensure the maintenance of confidentiality of records and files; dispose of personnel papers and files according to the Public Records Retention and Disposition Schedule.
- Coordinate the processing of employee transactions including new hires, transfers, status changes, and terminations; conduct orientation for new employees; conduct exit interviews as appropriate.
- Investigate employee complaints; assist in arbitrating employee grievances; participate in settling conflicts; participate in the documentation and recording of meetings.
- Collaborate with the College's Title IX Coordinator, oversee the colleges policy of equal opportunity employment; coordinate compliance with other civil rights legislation; assist with coordination of Section 504.
- Advise and assist employees and department management in a variety of human resources matters including the development, interpretation and application of personnel policies and procedures and the processing of employee grievances; participate in revising, distributing and collecting staff handbooks.
- Develop a variety of personnel reports for appropriate agencies.
Complete job descrition available on college website