- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in Music or Master’s degree and 18 graduate semester hours in Music from a regionally accredited institution.
Minimum two years of teaching experience; successful teaching experience in the online environment; excellent oral and written communication skills; knowledge in assessing student learning outcomes; and experience using learning management systems
The percentage range listed below is used to qualify the physical demands of the job: 0% Never, 1-33% Occasional, 34-66% Frequent, 67-100% Continuous
The job requires a full range of body motion that includes:
• Standing/Walking – Continuous
• Bending/Stooping – Frequent
• Lifting/Handling – Frequent
• Carrying – Frequent
• Push/Pull – Frequent
• Balancing – Frequent
• Twisting/Turning – Continuous
• Kneeling/Crouching – Frequent
• Reaching – Frequent
• Handling/Manual Dexterity/Feeling – Continuous
• Speaking/Hearing – Continuous
• Tasting/Smelling – Occasional
• Seeing (all aspects) – Continuous
• Environmental Exposure – Frequent
Community college teaching experience
This position will support dual enrollment programs on high school campuses in Rockingham County. A percentage of the workload will include teaching courses on a high school campus.
Full-time faculty are professional, credentialed educators with the primary responsibility of providing quality learning experiences in credit or non-credit courses in their area of expertise for all Rockingham Community College (RCC) students.
Faculty are responsible for providing learning experiences on the main campus and off-site. Faculty are responsible for but are not limited to planning, organizing, promoting, and teaching appropriate courses, to include online and hybrid. Faculty are expected to perform all instruction-related duties in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of the College, the North Carolina Community College System, and with appropriate accrediting entities where applicable. Faculty are also responsible for academic advising, follow-up support services, recruitment, and performing other duties as assigned.
Curriculum and Instruction
• Planning and organizing the curriculum as approved by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities.
• Developing, with other program faculty and appropriate administration, program level competencies that outline expected student learning outcomes.
• Identifying and/or developing instructional materials needed to teach the program competencies prescribed in the approved curriculum by Rockingham Community College, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities. Includes adhering to local, state, and federal regulations.
• Reporting student progress in mastering established learning outcomes based on identified and approved assessments.
• Implementing and providing effective instruction which demonstrates appropriate knowledge of his/her specialized field in accordance with best practice literature.
• Teaching an appropriate instructional course load in accordance with policies outlined in the Instructional Procedures Manual.
• Demonstrating the effective use of pedagogical methods to meet various student learning styles and/or guiding instructors to do the same.
• Administering appropriate assessment and/or testing to measure student learning outcomes in all courses and/or guiding instructors to do the same.
• Maintaining appropriate classroom standards that include the effective management of students in the classroom and the management of classroom and lab facilities and/or guiding instructors to do the same.
• Ordering textbooks, instructional materials, and supplies as needed for instruction following established procedures.
• Identifying and/or recommending equipment needed to teach the competencies prescribed in the approved curriculum by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and accrediting entities.
• Maintaining compliance with established North Carolina Community College System performance measures, national benchmarks, etc. for the appropriate curriculum as prescribed by the North Carolina Community College System and accrediting entities.
• Providing timely and accurate reports including 10% reports, grade reports, and other required reports related to instruction.
• Recommending adjunct faculty to the appropriate Department Chair to teach courses as needed in assigned program.
• Interacting with the program advisory committee to determine state-of-the-art practices, procedures, and equipment related to maintaining an up-to-date instructional program that would be valued and needed by the employers in the Rockingham Community College service area.
• Assisting with the research and development of information necessary to teach the appropriate courses to the students of Rockingham Community College.
•Monitoring professional information sources to determine trends and innovations in one’s field that lend themselves to integration into the instructional program.
Student Development Support
• Maintaining posted office hours in accordance with requirements outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
• Being available to students on a regular basis for out-of-class tutorial support in the courses he or she is assigned to teach and/or guiding instructors to do the same.
• Recruiting students for respective program and other programs at Rockingham Community College.
• Serving as an academic advisor to students with advising responsibilities in the assigned program relative to course requirements, expectations, and completion standards.
• Participating in the college’s registration and orientation sessions as assigned.
• Maintaining student records within the department as required by the accreditation agency and state and/or local policy.
• Referring students to Student Development personnel for guidance, counseling, and resource assistance following prescribed procedures on an as needed basis.
• Coordinating retention strategies with the appropriate program faculty, other Department Chairs, Directors, Program Coordinators, appropriate administration, and Student Services personnel to maximize student retention.
• Providing placement assistance to graduates of or students within the assigned program.
• Providing assistance and information for student follow-up reports and demographics as required by state or local policy and/or reports.
• Sponsoring and supporting program enrichment activities, particularly student organizations.
Administrative/Business Services Support
• Recommending a departmental budget for his or her assigned program to the appropriate Department Chair and Dean.
• Developing bid specifications for instructional equipment, materials, and supplies for the assigned program.
• Monitoring departmental expenditures to ensure expenditures are within the financial resources allocated to the program.
• Complying with Fiscal Management System policies and procedures set forth for Rockingham Community College.
• Responsible for equipment maintenance, inventory, ordering instructional supplies
• Working a minimum 38-hour workweek in accordance with policies outlined in the Instructional Procedures Manual.
• Assisting with the implementation and enforcement of all official policies and procedures of Rockingham Community College.
• Attending meetings, conferences, seminars, briefings, and training sessions called to expedite the business of the college.
• Attending extracurricular functions such as graduation, campus fund drives, etc. that promote the collegiate life.
• Serving on local, state, regional and/or national committees upon request and/or approval from the administration.
• Serving on college committees as assigned to expedite college business and to be involved in the decision-making process of the college.
• Striving to exhibit a personal and professional attitude that reflects positively upon the individual and the public perception of the community college.
• Participating in the activities of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Quality Enhancement Plans as required.
Public Relations Support
• Maintaining effective intra-institution relationships with members of the Board of Trustees, President’s Senior Staff, Administrative Staff, faculty, and support personnel of the college.
• Providing appropriate liaison support with the North Carolina Community College System and other relational entities.
• Promoting Rockingham Community College with local, state, regional, and national citizenry.
• Participating in Rockingham Community College, North Carolina Community College System, and other authorized professional development programs upon request.
• Pursuing local, state, regional, or national certifications that qualify one’s work against recognized standards in his or her field.
• Performing other duties as assigned by the appropriate Department Chair, Dean, Vice President for Academic Affairs and/or the President of Rockingham Community College.
• The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.