Closes: Monday, September 21, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate Degree AND
- One year of experience in accounting, financial aid or business related field is required, preferably a financial aid office setting.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; relate in a professional, helpful manner in person and over the phone; relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations, and policies pertaining to financial aid.
- Knowledge of college admissions policies, standards and procedures.
- Experience using computers and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, regulations, and procedures concerning financial aid programs
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and/or verify information accurately.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail; work independently in meeting various time deadlines and work pressures with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain records and files accurately.
- Ability to effectively identify and resolve problems related to every - day administrative support functions; maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive student and administrative information.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience working in a financial aid office setting.
- Datatel/Colleague experience.
The Financial Aid Advisor is responsible for assisting students and parents on the financial aid process, interpreting and explaining federal and state regulations to students and parents; reviewing and processing financial aid applications, required documents, and other forms; performing verification of files in compliance with federal and state regulations, and awarding and disbursing student aid.
The Financial Aid Advisor responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performs processing for applications, grant/scholarships, student employment, and SAP review; recalculates aid eligibility.
- Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, aid eligibility, packaging policies, costs, billing process, indebtedness, money management and financial planning.
- Interprets and explains state and federal regulations to parents and students.
- Identifies records/documents with conflicting information and follows up with students and Financial Aid Advisors.
- Collects required documents related to financial aid applications in a manner which is consistent, organized and meets all federal, state and institutional guidelines. Notifies and requests required documentation from students for file completion and eligibility determination.
- Codes documentation appropriately and enters data into the Colleague Communication Management System.
- Scans and index documents to student records into the imaging system. Maintains all student files within the College's imaging system.
- Maintains and ensures confidentiality of student records and information.
- Conduct thorough verification of student data provided on FAFSA application and resolves conflicts and discrepancies.
- Processes financial aid awards, input data, assigns account codes, makes adjusting entries, and reconciles assigned funds and accounts.
- Provides assistance with the College Work Study, Scholarship, and State Grants Program as required.
- Prepares applicable financial aid reports related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Represents the Financial Aid Department during promotional events (Open Houses, Orientations, Workshops, etc.).
- Acts as a liaison between various departments, offices, and outside agencies to resolve conflict, expedite processing, and access information.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid, Associate/Assistant Director of Financial Aid, or other designated management.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.