Closes: Friday, September 17, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate Degree AND
- One year of experience in accounting, financial aid or business related field is required, preferably a financial aid office setting.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; relate in a professional, helpful manner in person and over the phone; relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations, and policies pertaining to financial aid.
- Knowledge of college admissions policies, standards and procedures.
- Experience using computers and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, regulations, and procedures concerning financial aid programs
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and/or verify information accurately.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail; work independently in meeting various time deadlines and work pressures with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain records and files accurately.
- Ability to effectively identify and resolve problems related to every - day administrative support functions; maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive student and administrative information.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience working in a financial aid office setting.
- Datatel/Colleague experience.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Financial Aid Advisor is responsible for assisting students and parents on the financial aid process, interpreting and explaining federal and state regulations to students and parents; reviewing and processing financial aid applications, required documents, and other forms; performing verification of files in compliance with federal and state regulations, and awarding and disbursing student aid.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
The Financial Aid Advisor responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performs processing for applications, grant/scholarships, and SAP review; recalculates aid eligibility.
- Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, aid eligibility, packaging policies, costs, billing process, indebtedness, money management and financial planning.
- Interprets and explains state and federal regulations to parents and students.
- Identifies records/documents with conflicting information and follows up with students and Financial Aid Advisors.
- Collects required documents related to financial aid applications in a manner which is consistent, organized and meets all federal, state and institutional guidelines. Notifies and requests required documentation from students for file completion and eligibility determination.
- Codes documentation appropriately and enters data into the Colleague Communication Management System.
- Responsible for managing and tracking clock-hour conversion programs to ensure accurate disbursement of funds to student accounts.
- Maintains all student files within the College's imaging system.
- Maintains and ensures confidentiality of student records and information.
- Conduct thorough verification of student data provided on FAFSA application and resolves conflicts and discrepancies.
- Processes financial aid awards, input data, assigns account codes, makes adjusting entries, and reconciles assigned funds and accounts.
- Provides assistance with the College Work Study, Scholarship, and State Grants Program as required.
- Prepares applicable financial aid reports related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Represents the Financial Aid Department during promotional events (Open Houses, Orientations, Workshops, etc.).
- Acts as a liaison between various departments, offices, and outside agencies to resolve conflict, expedite processing, and access information.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid, Associate/Assistant Director of Financial Aid, or other designated management.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.