Brunswick Community College
50 College Road NE
Bolivia, NC 28422
Closes: Monday, December 31, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate Degree in Business related field or 1-2 years’ experience in administrative office environment, preferably student services and/or financial aid; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to work independently while supporting a team effort.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Experience working in a fast pace community college environment.
The Financial Aid Counselor, under the direction of the Director of Student Financial Resources, provides personal and financial aid application counseling to prospective students, current students, and family members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsel prospective students and their families on federal and state aid applications, eligibility issues, verification process, related tax issues, related immigration issues, requirements for continued eligibility, and awarding policies
- Participates in the development of institutional financial aid policies and procedures that will positively impact efficiency and quality of service provided
- Counsel students one-on-one and in groups on financial aid, scholarships, loans, work study employment, financial planning, debt management, and budget development
- Provide in-person, via telephone and/or e-mail counseling; interact with all constituents in a professional and timely manner, exhibiting superior customer service standards
- Articulate timelines to students and parents and explain financial aid programs deadlines
- Assists prospective and current students who receive veterans’ educational benefits with the enrollment verification process in accordance with VA rules and procedures
- Assists in managing the Federal Work Study program and serves as a liaison to human resources, students, faculty, and staff. This may include maintaining job descriptions, pay rates, job placement, etc.
- Provides support to students experiencing family, personal or economic crises which may impact academic success. Specific focus on working with special needs populations to identify unique needs and coordinate appropriate services
- Assist students with factual data regarding personal budget management, financial planning and other guidance counseling which may affect student academic performance and continued eligibility for assistance
- Counsel students on College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. Encourage students to develop a realistic plan of study to ensure they stay within the rules mandated by SAP
- Handle a high volume of student contact during peak registration periods that requires detailed analysis and effective assessment of student financial and developmental needs
- Demonstrate good communication skills, organization, versatility, productivity and creativity
- Keep current with federal, state, institutional and departmental regulations and policies.
- Interpret regulations and exercise professional judgment in the development of solutions to unique student and family situations. Provide input in relation to various office policies and procedures
- Take appropriate action if conflicting information or evidence of fraud is discovered. Make corrections to the application and/or ask for additional information as needed and under tight time constraints
- Determines the types and amounts of financial aid to be awarded through the packaging process according to federal, state and institutional requirements. Monitors individual student awards. Resolves data conflicts and over awards
- Support the efforts of Enrollment Management by participating in weekend recruitment events and delivers financial aid presentation to large and small groups for recruitment and retention purposes
- Performs other related tasks as required
How to Apply
A completed and signed Brunswick Community College application, a letter stating your qualifications related to the position requirements, skills and abilities, unofficial transcripts, and resume are preferred for most positions.
Applications can be found online at www.brunswickcc.edu
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to any of the following:
Human Resources, Brunswick Community College
PO Box 30
Supply, NC, 28462
Fax (910) 754-8229
Telephone: (910) 755-7300
BCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer