Closes: Wednesday, October 31, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- An associate’s or higher level degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Two or more years of experience in a financial aid office or related experience is required
- Working knowledge and experience in computer database applications including
- Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume, confidential service environment while providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to work without close supervision, and to establish and maintain trust with supervisor(s) and co-workers, and a willingness to work occasional irregular hours.
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept.
- Associate Degree in Office systems Technology, business, or related field
- Experience in a North Carolina community college/higher education financial aid office
- Experience working with DATATEL software
The Financial Aid Specialist works closely with the Financial Aid Director in the interpretation of new regulations and implementation into office procedures, updating and maintaining DATATEL modules, and maintaining working knowledge of most phases of financial aid operation. This position is also responsible for processing approximately 35% of the student applications.
- Reviews financial aid application materials for a selected portion of the alphabet. This includes contacting students for completion of financial aid file and verification documentation.
- Responsible for awarding applicants in accordance with Federal, State, Institutional and Agency regulations.
- Counsels students and parents concerning the financial aid process meeting their individual needs and provides technical assistance in completing the financial aid application material.
- Responsible for verifying applicant data in accordance with federal verification regulations and electronic submission of any needed corrections for a selected portion of the alphabet and any other students’ files during registration.
- Determination of student eligibility by reviewing as follows: admissions requirements; and other federal requirements including monitoring SAP.
- Performs Datatel processes and other verification or financial aid processes. Supervises and trains work study students.
- Assist with the verification of enrollment and making award adjustments for any financial aid recipient as needed during the awarding process and/or bookstore and check release process.
- Possesses working knowledge of most phases of financial aid operations.
- Responsible for managing the Return to Title IV process.
- Responsible for managing the financial aid portion of the scholarship process, including the SECU scholarship awarding.
- Responsible for preparing documentation and reporting for Golden Leaf fund and TAP funds to the NCCCS. Assist with managing the funds for these programs.
- Responsible for private loans including Sallie Mae and CFI loans.
- Backup SCO (School Certifying Official) for Veterans affairs.
- Participates in professional development and attends conferences and other training as required.
- Serves on committee assignments and other duties as assigned by the Financial Aid Director. Serves as a financial aid liaison with faculty, staff, and students.
- Uses various in-house integrated with external agencies, and networked software programs and government websites in daily activities.
How to Apply
Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, copies of any industry certifications and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of applications will be October 31, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 310. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact