Rockingham Community College
Closes: Friday, November 15, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Excellent customer service skills, excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, good oral and written communications skills. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple functions or tasks effectively.
- Competence in computing skills, especially Word, Excel, and Power Point.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Must be able to balance, stoop, kneel, and reach with hands/arms and work using a personal computer.
1. Relevant experience in college financial aid operations with a working knowledge of basic Federal and State financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures.
2. Experience working in a higher education setting. Community college experience highly beneficial.
3. Experience with Colleague.
The Specialist reports to the Director of Financial aid/Veterans Affairs and assists in the administration of financial aid to students in accordance with established College guidelines and applicable Federal and State regulations. Oversees the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress and State Grant programs. The Specialist may be requested to supervise summer interns, or assume similar duties, under the direction of the Director.
1. Assists with the processing of financial aid applications by collecting required documents, verifying accuracy through the Verification process, completing any applicable Federal reporting requirements, preparing the student file for award and awarding financial aid to eligible students. Assist with processing Dependency Override and Special Circumstance applications.
2. Balances various Federal and State accounts. Administers the State grant program including certification and reconciliation of funds. Administers the Child Care grant program.
3. Serves as the primary Financial Aid staff member to manage the college work-study program. Oversees the awarding of Federal, RCC Foundation, and Institutional work-study funds. In coordination with the Human Resources Office, maintains accurate work-study student employee records. Collects monthly timesheets, verifies the accuracy of these, and submits to the Business Office for processing.
4. In coordination with the Director, monitors and evaluates Satisfactory Academic Progress. Coordinates the review of Satisfactory Academic Progress communication to students and appeal reviews.
5. Assists with the process for awarding RCC Foundation scholarships, including review of scholarship applications and other duties associated with scholarship awards in coordination with the Assistant Director of Financial Aid.
6. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Federal and State financial aid regulations and practices, especially as these relate to position job duties.
7. Serve as the primary back-up for front desk assistance and phone coverage as needed. Advises and informs students and their families about the financial aid application process.
8. Oversees financial aid files and the scanning process for the Financial Aid Office.
9. Performs various clerical functions, such as preparation of award letters, reports, and other documents, filing, and preparation of requisitions, in support of the primary task of administering financial aid to students.
10. Oversees the updating of financial aid forms, documents, and policies annually and as needed. Maintains the Financial Aid Office webpage and submits social media updates. Prepares, maintains, creates, and orders publications pertinent to financial aid.
11. Fulfills other duties as requested or assigned by the Director.
1. Assists with regular reviewing of reports and reconciliation for financial aid including but not limited to FATR/FATP and the De-registration processes.
2. Speak to students, families, and the community about financial aid opportunities and conduct workshops at the request of the Director (may include off-campus and evening presentations).