Location: RichmondCC Scotland County Campus
Closes: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, with course work in business administration, accounting, finance, computer information, or a closely related field required. Must possess data entry word processing skills and be proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Strong attention to detail and the ability to understand and comply with all regulations.
Two years of experience performing general office duties preferred. Experience with Colleague (Datatel) preferred. Two years of experience performing general office duties preferred. Experience with Colleague (Datatel) preferred. Understanding of and commitment to the unique nature and role of the community college with special reference to the total fulfillment of the open door policy. Understanding of and commitment to the mission and vision of Richmond Community College. Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, tact and diplomacy, and possess a positive student-oriented attitude.
General Description of the Position:
The Financial Aid Specialist, under the direction of the Director of Financial Aid and the Vice President of Student Services, is responsible for assisting with all facets of the institution’s financial aid programs. This individual will serve as the initial contact for the financial aid office, providing professional and positive customer service by educating and counseling students and families on all aspects of financial aid.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Position:
- Counsels and advises students concerning financial aid opportunities, application processes and financial management strategies.
- Explains financial aid programs and eligibility criteria.
- Provides intake services and responds to student inquiries; creates, sends and responds to correspondence relating to financial aid and/or scholarship programs.
- Determines eligibility and computes financial aid awards utilizing various software packages. This includes processing applications and making corrections of federal student aid files with the US Department of Education. Will also complete verifications, and monitor document tracking correspondence and award notifications.
- Monitors student records for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and other criteria to ensure that financial aid obligations have been met and determine whether additional financial aid disbursements can be released; notifies students of continued eligibility or disqualification; advises students of the appeal processes.
- Monitors the probation/suspension status and the 150% timeframe for students.
- Interprets, implements and ensures the college is in compliance with state and federal agencies by maintaining a working knowledge of federal and state financial aid.
- Assist with the financial aid registration process each semester including day and evening hours.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as assigned.
- Attends professional workshops and conferences.
- Handles sensitive student information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Assist with telephone and office coverage, if needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with photocopies or unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website. No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only. Incomplete files will not be considered. Successful applicant must pass a complete background check.
Methods to submit an application:
Online submission at www.richmondcc.edu
In person: 1042 W. Hamlet Avenue, Hamlet, NC, DeWitt Building, 2nd floor.
Mail: RCC, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 1189, Hamlet, NC 28345.
Fax: 910-582-7028. Applicant needs to ensure that documents are readable.