Oconaluftee Job Corps, Cherokee, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, November 29, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree in Forest Management Technology or related field required, Bachelor's preferred. Two years forestry experience,
Teaching experience and working with youth preferred.
Statement of Primary Purpose
Provide forestry training for students at Oconaluftee Job Corps Center.
Occupational Faculty, full-time, exempt.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Instruct, advise, guide, and assist students to achieve job skills and social skills necessary to transition into employment in the Forestry Conservation field.
• Ability to train students in Timber Cruising
• Maintain up-to-date instructional classroom and lab with equipment, tools, books and materials required for individualized student instruction.
• Recruit and provide orientation for new students in the program
• Teach students, in groups and in individualized programs, in the SCC/OJCC Forestry Conservation classes
• Advise and guide students in professional and social skills
• Maintain all records for the College and for OJCC
• Comply with reporting requirements
• Select and recommend instructional materials, tools, and equipment
• Serve on College and OJCC committees
• Attend meetings and student programs as needed
• Present professional role model for students
• Work with US Forest Service and Department of Labor to revise and up-date instructional programs as needed
• Recommend new programs and skills needed for student success
• Be responsible for professional development and maintaining professional competence
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and community partners
• Assist in student job placements upon completion of program
• Maintain appropriate program benchmarks
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Attend various training activities (Chain Saw Certification, CPR, Student Handbook Training, Gang Awareness Training, Center Safety Procedures, etc.) as required by the Job Corps Center.
Associate Degree in Forest Management Technology or related field required, Bachelor's preferred. Two years forestry experience, teaching experience and working with youth preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
Forestry Management Skills
Ability to lift heavy objects, climb trees, operate power tools, walk long distances.
Valid Driver's License, Ability to be certified and re-certified as CPR Instructor as required by the Job Corps Center. Ability to obtain various forestry certifications.
Working Conditions and Environment
Work in forest environment. Work with forestry equipment (chainsaws, ropes, axes, shovels, picks, GPS, etc. The Oconaluftee Job Corps Center does not close due to inclement weather; therefore, this position does not follow the College closing schedule. The work day is M-F, 7:30am-4:00pm with ½ hour lunch break. Oconaluftee Job Corps Center observes federal holidays.
All tools related to forestry management. Ability to drive 14 passenger van.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact