FT Accounting Compliance Officer
245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Closes: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or appropriate field.
Experience Minimum: Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years' experience.
Manages the financial operations of the College Foundation requiring solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to include the professional non-profit accounting and financial duties and reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Maintain a system of financial accounting, reporting and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures as set forth by the United States Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) utilizing Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Maintains the general ledger, including preparation of journal entries with supporting analysis and documentation. Processes Foundation accounts payable and accounts receivable. Calculate, reconcile and oversee scholarship awards disbursement and all related activities.
- Conducts bi-annual allocations of State Investments Treasurer’s Fund and other marketable securities held by the College Foundation to appropriate restricted Programs/Funds.
- Manages funds related to endowment and temporary restricted funds. Maintains Johnston Community College Foundation’s Chart of Accounts.
- Analyzes and prepares financial statements and reports for the College Foundation’s Finance and Investment Committee, as well as the Foundation Board of Directors and the College Board of Trustees. Serves as staff support for the JCC Foundation Finance and Investment Committee.
- Maintains W9s for all vendors used by the Foundation and prepares annual forms 1099 and transmittal form 1096.
- Acts as liaison to the College Foundation’s contract auditing firm and its representatives. With direction and in collaboration with Foundation Auditor, prepares the annual audit, form 990 and other IRS regulated reports as necessary.
- Reviews, evaluates and implements effective internal control measures to ensure efficient financial operation of the College Foundation and safeguarding of the College Foundation’s assets.
- Liaison to JCC Financial Services Division to ensure compliance with State regulatory guidance regarding the Foundation as a discretely presented component unit of the College and to provide Foundation financials reports as necessary.
- Evaluates and recommends improvements to the College Foundation’s accounting systems.
- Working knowledge of current IRS nonprofit laws as they relate to functions, programs and services of the JCC Foundation's financials.
- Working knowledge of investment accounts as they relate to Foundation's financial functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent working knowledge of:
- QuickBooks Premier 2010 Version for Nonprofits
- Raiser's Edge Donor Management System(or comparable donor management system)
- Microsoft Word
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent oral and written skills and the abilities to effectively report on JCC Foundation Financial Statements to the Foundation Board, Staff and select individuals as deemed necessary.
- Ability to write clear, effective and persuasive communications to include operational instructions and procedural manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret foundation-related financial reports.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee must be able to communicate effectively. The employee must be able to meet mobility requirements and be able to occasionally move materials of up to 10 pounds. Must be able to access print material and utilize the information effectively.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is typical of a community college foundation setting.
Johnston Community College operates on a Monday – Thursday schedule from
7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. In addition, from mid-May – early August, the College operates on a forty-hour work week from Monday – Thursday with the College closed on Fridays.
This position requires evening and weekend work as needed.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact