Main Campus, Smithfield, NC
Closes: Thursday, June 20, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education or closely related field. Level III director certification letter from the NC DCDEE. Provide copies of transcripts and equivalency form with application.
Education Preferred: Master's degree in Early Childhood Education or closely related field. Level III NC administration credential or its equivalent. Preferred supervisory/management experience in a child care facility. CPR/FA certified; playground safety certification; EPR trained. Provide copies of transcripts, equivalency forms, and certificates of completion with application.
Experience Minimum: Two (2) years verifiable teaching and/or directing experience in a child care center. Provide all ECE experience on the application.
Under direction, the purpose of the position is to supervise and be responsible for the overall operation of the Child Development Center (CDC) laboratory school. An employee in this classification performs administrative and instructional related work. Position is responsible for supervising teaching staff and JCC adult students utilizing the facility; following required rules and regulations for the operation of a NC licensed child development facility; following requirements for maintaining national child care center accreditation through NAEYC; maintaining the day to day operations of the program including fiscal management, environments, enrollment and advertising, etc.; serves as the liaison for utilization of the facility with the AAS Early Childhood Education program and other educational programs at the college. Performs work as required.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the general operations of the CDC program within the parameters of the college Board of Trustees and NC laws for early childhood center
- Coordinates, plans, and evaluates all aspects of the CDC.
- Develops, maintains and updates all operational and personnel policies related to the CDC as needed
- Maintains positive working relationships with families of the children in the center
- Interviews and orients new staff, substitutes and volunteers.
- Supervises and evaluates all CDC staff.
- Assures that the facility conforms with NC licensing, building, fire and sanitation standards with regard to physical safety and well being of the children.
- Assures all NAEYC Accreditation measures are successfully met.
- Seeks, organizes, or plans professional development opportunities for CDC staff to meet all licensing regulations, college policies, and professional development needs of the staff..
- Enrolls children, collects fees, and orients new children and families to the program.
- Develops schedules for the CDC personnel and JCC students.
- Maintains inventory of food and non-food related supplies, equipment and materials necessary to effectively carry out program activities.
- Oversees menu planning, food ordering and buying in accordance with licensing requirements and/or the federal food program.
- Maintains record keeping for the CDC as per licensing requirements including all center records (staff and children's files).
- Oversees the CDC budget.
- Seeks quality improvement initiatives and grants that could benefit the program and the college.
- Maintains record keeping and reporting for college, NAEYC accreditation and licensing, as well as reports for any subsidize care receipt, health and quality improvement initiatives, and grants that were obtained for the CDC.
- Supports the total mission of the college through attendance of various college functions.
- Collaborates with the JCC AAS Early Childhood Education program faculty and other program directors/faculty as the liaison to assure utilization of the CDC within coursework at the college.
- Maintains relationships with community partners related to the ECE field and/or the CDC program. Serves on various college and professional committees.
- Participates in community outreach events and organizations.
- Coordinates various outside and internal visitors to the CDC such as, but not limited to, annual health care checks for children, intervention specialists visits, JCC student interns & observations for assignments, and state initiative partners.
- Requires the ability to function in a supervisory/managerial capacity for a group of workers.
- Work effectively with families, colleagues, and young children.
- Ability to make decisions on ethical, procedural and technical levels.
- Ability to use, operate, and/or handle office equipment, such as a computer and printer, facsimile machine, copier, calculator, communications equipment, laminator, kitchen and laundry appliances.
This job has supervisory responsibilities.
Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as policy manuals, Employee Handbook, NC Rules and Regulations & General Statutes, NAEYC Accreditation standards, etc. Ability to speak, write, and understand Spanish a plus. Ability to write proficiency to respond to professional agencies regarding the CDC or college, communicate with staff and families and to revise CDC policies as needed.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as ability to calculate decimals and percentages and food measurements.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, teaching pedagogy, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control, professionalism, and planning of the JCC Child Development Center and its utilization by educational programs at JCC.
A complete knowledge of Microsoft Products as used in overall management in an educational environment is required.
Employee must be physically and emotionally healthy and fit to care for children and the CDC facility. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily indoor environments including office space, classroom spaces, meeting rooms and outdoor playground spaces. Both sitting and standing and ability to get down on children's level (ground level).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact