Johnston Community College
245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Closes: Thursday, August 11, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: 24 semester hours of college level general education including at least 6 childhood education focused semester hours.
Experience: One year working in a licensed child care facility.
Education Preferred: Associate Degree in early childhood education or closely related field, completed course work towards achieving a level 3 or higher on the NC Early Care and Education Professional Certification Scale, NC Early Childhood Credential, CPR/First Aid certification
Preferred Experience: Minimum 3 years of experience working directly with children in a licensed child care facility. Fluent in Spanish.
Assisting the Lead Teacher with supervision of the children, within a laboratory early care and education environment, ensuring their health, safety, and welfare; and instructs them in activities designed to promote social/ emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. Serves as a professional model and mentor to ECE program students.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of data such as NC Child Care rules and regulations, accreditation guidelines, sanitation requirements, etc.
- Quality oral and written communication skills for modeling for children as well as communicating with outside agencies, students and families.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity required of situations involving the direction, implementation and planning of the classroom environment and activities and use a variety of behavior guidance strategies.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills and Additional Tools
- Basic use of computers including word processing, typing, email,
- Utilizing and researching on the internet and attaching documents
- Experiences with online course delivery systems (such as Blackboard).
- Ability to operate children's electronic educational tools such as Smart Tables, computers and other similar electronic media as well
- Ability to operate additional office equipment such as fax, copier, and printer.
- Ability speak and hear (with or without assistive devices)
- Ability to be mobile including standing for potentially long periods of time, walking, kneeling, crouching, stoop, reaching, crawling, getting up and down from the floor level, etc.
- Ability to lift/move up to 35 pounds
- This position is physically active and demanding and requires proper balance and fitness.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Employee must be able to obtain physician approval for physical and mental health upon employment and thereafter as needed or required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Typical work environment includes early care and education classroom settings and a group of children in the JCC Child Development Center on the main campus.
- Field trips and other external excursions may be required on alternative on-campus or off-campus locations.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact