On & Offsite JCC Campus Locations, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, March 21, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master's degree in Spanish or master's degree with 18 graduate hours in Spanish course work.
Experience Minimum: One to three years teaching experience. Demonstrated subject matter expertise in the discipline. Experience working with a diverse body of academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of students.
Experience Preferred: Three to five years teaching experience in a community college or university environment. Specific experience with online course development and instruction as well as educational technology is highly preferred. Curriculum development and course assessment experience is preferred.
The University Studies & Educational Technologies department is seeking a Full-Time faculty member who can teach college transfer Spanish classes. The Full-Time faculty will provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with the Department Chair and established course model syllabus/syllabi. S/he will create learning and teaching environments for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college. Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Knowledge and Responsibilities:
- Subject matter expertise in areas expected to teach
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality educational programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
Instructional Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
Instructional responsibilities and essential duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions, and sound judgment.
- Assist with enrollment and course development.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment safety.
- Serve as a quality academic advisor to college transfer students and dual enrolled students.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit administrative reports on time.
- Participate in the college's assessment process.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Serve, as needed, on college committees and/or special projects.
- Teach all courses as assigned, for the full duration of scheduled instructional time.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text materials, outlines, syllabi and other course materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations, as well as to meet the needs of the department, division, and college.
- Attend training and other professional development opportunities on- or off -campus and stay current with developments in the field of instruction.
Program/Discipline Specific Responsibilities:
- Periodically review and evaluate discipline course offerings and facilitate innovation in curricular and instructional development.
- Recommend appropriate revisions in course outlines.
- Recommend appropriate and relevant instructional technologies to enhance discipline offerings.
- Assume other appropriate responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the Department Chair and the Associate Vice President in meeting the needs of the college.
- Keep abreast of developments within the State of North Carolina that affect The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
- Assist the Department Chairs in analyzing Spanish course offerings within various programs of study.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percents and decimals.
Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact