Main Campus, Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, July 24, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality educational programs in in-seat, hybrid, and online environments
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners in in-seat, hybrid, and online environments
- Ability to maintain good relationships with staff and students
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions, and sound judgment
Education Minimum: Master's degree in English or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in English.
Experience Minimum: Two to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college. Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology.
Provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with your Director of Programs and established course model syllabus/syllabi. Create a learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college. Serve on appropriate committees as assigned. Other duties may be appointed.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities of curriculum instructors include:
- Complete all required training to teach using various modes of instruction
- Teach assigned classes
- Create an effective learning environment
- Meet classes as assigned
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security
- Serve as an academic advisor to students
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
- Submit required reports
- Participate in the college's assessment process
- Fulfill all contract provisions
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percentages and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact