On & Offsite JCC Campus Locations, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, June 13, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master's degree in History or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in History.
Experience Minimum: One (1) to three (3) years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment. Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred.
Experience Preferred: Three (3) to five (5) years teaching experience in a community college or university environment. Experience teaching freshman level history courses, preferably World Civilization and American History. Specific experience with online course development and instruction as well as educational technology is preferred. Curriculum development and course assessment experience is preferred.
Summary: The University Studies and Educational Technologies department is seeking a Full Time faculty member who can teach History classes. The full time faculty will provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with the Department Chair and established course syllabus/syllabi. The instructor will create a learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college. Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Knowledge and Responsibilities:
- Subject matter expertise in areas expected to teach.
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality educational programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions and sound judgement.
- Assist with recruiting and program development.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment safety.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit administrative reports on time.
- Participate in the college's assessment process.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Teach all courses, as assigned, for the full duration of scheduled instructional time.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text materials, outlines, syllabi and other course materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations, as well as to meet the needs of the department, division, and college
- Attend training and other professional development opportunities on- or off-campus and stay current with developments in the field of instruction
- Assume responsibility for classroom preparation, including maintenance and cleanup, and recommend, as necessary, appropriate supplies and equipment
- Other duties as assigned.
Discipline Specific Responsibilities:
- Periodically review and evaluate discipline course offerings, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development
- Conduct appropriate revisions to course materials and outlines
- Recommend appropriate and relevant instructional technologies to enhance discipline offerings
- Assume other appropriate responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the Department Chair and the Associate Vice President in meeting the needs of the college
- Assist the Department Chair with working closely with local high school administrators, with a focus on enhancing the learning experience and accessibility for history courses offered to dual enrolled students.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform advanced math computations raging from Calculus through to Linear Algebra.
- Ability to compute derivatives and anti-derivatives.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact