Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, October 29, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others in a collaborative leadership position is required. Knowledge, skills, and ability to manage personnel and plan innovatively for the organization; Strong written and oral communication skills; Ability to work collegially in a complex, changing higher education environment.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education or related degree.
Experience Minimum: Three to five years' experience that includes managing and supporting online learning and educational technology departments and staff, including at least one year of supervisory experience. Experience in providing professional development/training.
Under general direction, this position provides leadership for the Jaguar Office of Learning Technologies, Media Services and select CIS courses. Employees in this classification perform administrative and instructional work, teach courses in the appropriate discipline, and are responsible for general oversight of both faculty and staff.
Knowledge & Responsibilities
Essential Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage, plan, supervise and evaluate all aspects of JOLT, ACA 122 and select Computer Information courses and faculty.
- Teach classes and advise students.
- Oversee and administer of all major functions of the College's Learning management system (Blackboard).
- Review the unit's programs and services for relevance and new opportunities.
- Recruit, interview, hire, and mentor of faculty and staff.
- Provide content, pedagogical, technical, and general support in developing and implementing online/distance education, and/or blended and hybrid courses.
- Coordinate the strategic planning process for the building of a virtual college.
- Promote and support the integration of technology into all curriculum areas
- Oversee the creation, implementation, review, and revision of a faculty handbook for online/hybrid/blended/videoconference education.
- Oversee the creation, implementation, review, and revision of a student handbook for online/hybrid/blended/videoconference education.
- Schedule classes, coordinate course scheduling with other programs, and evaluate instruction.
- Recruit and foster retention of students.
- Conduct faculty, program, and advisory committee meetings, and serve on college committees as needed.
- Comply with all SACS, SARA, and/or accreditation criteria as required.
- Align unit goals to help create a climate that fosters growth, innovation and support for the strategic direction of both the department and the institution.
- Coordinate textbook selections; recommend books and audio-visual materials for purchase; purchase and deliver supplies, equipment, and software.
Read and research curriculum-related materials; review current books and publications.
- Design, implement, coordinate and evaluate faculty and staff professional development and training for effective use of technology and applications used in the delivery of instruction.
- Identify technologies and techniques that will improve teaching, learning, and administrative processes.
- Coordinate the development, implementation and evaluation of online and videoconference courses with AVPs, Department Chairs, and Directors.
- Develop, maintain, and run an online training program for all faculty who wish to teach in the online environment.
- Develop and maintain relationships within the campus community.
- Assist in the planning, compiling, and submitting of proposals, reports, and other appropriate materials related to learning technologies and online education.
- Collaborate and coordinate with AVPs, Department Chairs, and Directors to develop and implement long-range plans and strategies for online learning and instructional technology.
- Conduct research and develop recommendations on College policies and procedures related to online learning and instructional technology.
Supervise and assist in evaluating all personnel within the area of responsibility, supervise workload, provide training and resolve conflicts. Ensure that reporting personnel have annual goals and measurements that are consistent with the priorities of the college, and that interim reviews are held so that their work is focused on those priorities, and they understand their level of accountability for results and the measurement process.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and interest.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control and planning of the program
Technical & Computer Skills
- Demonstrated experience with Blackboard hosting solutions and knowledge of SIS integration.
- Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of classroom technology including Smartboards
- Basic experience with Advanced System Reporting (ASR) and query building using MySQL.
- Ellucian Colleague scripting experience a plus
A complete knowledge of Microsoft Products as used in overall management in an educational environment is required. Experience creating training using various authoring tools. Experience with online course delivery systems such as Blackboard.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit and is occasionally required to stand; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; and stoop or kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact