Main Campus, Smithfield, NC 27577
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master's Degree in a college transfer discipline or Master's Degree with 18 graduate hours in a college transfer discipline.
Experience Minimum: Two (2) to five (5) years administrative experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and teaching experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job.
Experience Preferred: Five (5) years of administrative experience in higher education, supervisory, teaching and curriculum development experience. Master's degree in English, Humanities or Foreign Languages.
Under direction, the purpose of the position is to supervise and evaluate instruction in the University Studies & Educational Technologies (USET) Department. Employees in this classification perform administrative and instructional work. Position is responsible for supervising faculty; preparing class schedules; counseling and advising students; assisting with faculty selection; and teaching classes. Performs work as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Teaches one class and advises students.
- Coordinates, plans, and evaluates all aspects of the following disciplines:
- English & Literature
- Communication, Spanish & American Sign Language
- Philosophy, Art, Music, Humanities
- Oversees recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of faculty in unit.
- Supervises, evaluates and mentors faculty.
- Schedules classes, coordinates course scheduling with other programs, and evaluates instruction.
- Meets core curriculum model adopted by Community College system and complies with SACS and/or accreditation criteria.
- Continuously conducts needs analysis with all disciplines within the unit to ensure strategies and plans are meeting the changing learning needs of the college and its students.
- Align unit goals to help create a climate that fosters growth, innovation and supports the strategic direction of both the department and institution.
- Supports the total mission of the college through attendance of various college functions.
- Serves on various college and professional committees.
- Conducts faculty, program, and advisory committee meetings.
- Recruits and fosters retention of students.
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including up to date test files and curricular plans.
- Coordinates textbooks selection; recommends books and audio-visual materials for purchase; purchases and delivers supplies, equipment, and software.
- Reads and researches curriculum-related materials; reviews current books and publications.
- Serves on the Dean's senior management team
- Ability to use, operate, and/or handle office equipment, such as a computer and printer, facsimile machine, copier, calculator and communications equipment.
This job has supervisory responsibilities
Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as policy manuals, Employee Handbook, SACS Criteria Manual, program guidelines from DCC, course syllabi and course textbooks.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, ability to calculate decimals and percentages
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, teaching pedagogy, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control, evaluation and planning of the programs.
A complete knowledge of Microsoft Products as used in overall management in an educational environment is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact