Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or enrolled in Early Childhood Associates Program in good standing. Professional level of educational theory, child development and teaching skills. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Capable of relating to diverse age and demographic backgrounds. Physical ability sufficient to frequently bend, stoop and lift up to 50 pounds. Possess a willingness to learn procedures and regulations specific to the care and education of infants and children. Possess a willingness to learn necessary skills and knowledge and to strive for continuous improvement. Demonstrate diplomacy, tact and professional demeanor.
Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or higher. Minimum 3 years’ experience in an Early Childhood setting.
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for supporting the teaching staff with planning and implementing the daily program of activities for a group of children in the Regional Center for the Advancement of Children and to follow Child Care Standards to promote the high-quality care, health, safety, and well-being of all children in their care.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Performance of the Lead Teacher role in their absence
- Knowledge and understanding of child development and growth.
- Assisting the Lead Teacher in planning and carrying out the daily indoor and outdoor activities, preparation and serving of meals and snacks
- Helping each child and family adjust and feel secure in the center.
- Maintaining a safe, clean and pleasant environment by helping keep the center clean, appropriate communication with and around children, positive relationship with parents, children and other staff, licensure and Five Star Compliance, supervision of the group while working with one child, compliance to confidentiality policies.
- Understanding of Health and Sanitation practices in the classroom environment
- Communicating sensitivity and patience with children, supervised by teacher and director but possessing the ability to work without supervision.
- Utilization of pleasant, calm tone of voice, positive discipline techniques.
- Ability to anticipate problems and redirect children.
- Participation in staff meetings, training sessions as required by North Carolina Division of Child Development, supervision and guidance of work-study and Co-op students.
- Effective time management skills to adhere to a work schedule and on a regular basis.
- Planning and initiative to carrying out job duties in a professional manner.
- If applicable, continue education to achieve Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education within the NC PreK allotted time frame.
- Knowledge of Early Childhood Environment Rating Scales (ECERS)
- Participation in Parent/Teacher conferences
- Participation in classroom prepping and classroom closing each PreK school session
- Working in the wrap-around program daily after NC PreK ends at 2:30pm as needed, including planning and operation of the Wrap-Around Program.
- Other responsibilities as assigned or deemed necessary by the Director or Education Coordinator of the RCAC.
CPR and/or first aid certification or willingness to obtain through work provided training; TB Test, State agency background check, physical at the employee's expense.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.