FT Financial Aid Specialist I or II
Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, March 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree (Accounting, Business Administration preferred) OR 12 months of financial aid office experience (for Level II). Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Outlook); Problem solving skills.
Experience working in a Community College setting, working with an information processing system; and excellent communication skills.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Manage financial aid processes; provide support to the Senior Director of Financial Aid in processing and maintaining student records. Counsel students/potential students on all aspects of financial aid.
This is a full-time staff, non-exempt, staff position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Process students’ financial aid applications including completion and electronic submission of the FAFSA.
- Counsel students/potential students on all aspects of financial aid.
- Responsible for a portion of the alphabet including the processing of incoming Institutional Student Information Records, verification of files, clearing comment codes and awarding financial aid.
- Process student correspondence.
- Follow Federal, State, and Institutional guidelines for financial aid eligibility while processing and maintaining accurate student records.
- Review SAP calculations and counsel students on these calculations and appeal process.
- Prepare student files for review by the Senior Director of FA for SAP appeals and Professional Judgement.
- Assist students with completing the HCC scholarship application.
- Serve as VA Certifying Official
- Maintain files for VA students and POC for VA Compliance audits
- Provide exemplary customer service to students and staff via telephone or in person.
- Participate in Colleague and financial aid training.
- May drive college-owned vehicles.
- Miscellaneous tasks: complete purchase orders, file student documentation, assist with registration, assist with bulk mailings, and serve on college committees; assist with graduation, Student Activities and registration; maintain professional appearance in compliance with SS dress code; maintain professional behavior in accordance with professional code of conduct and ethics
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
Haywood Community College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or status as a covered veteran in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Upon request, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities so that they may be able to perform the essential functions of their job unless doing so would result in an undue burden for the College.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.