On & Offsite JCC Campus Locations, NC
Closes: Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Education Preferred: Two year technical degree in a related field. Applicants actively seeking a related technical degree will be considered.
Experience Preferred: Three to five years of experience in a green industry environment and a thorough knowledge of horticultural practices.
Under general supervision, the purpose of this position is to perform horticultural, grounds, and facilities maintenance at on and off-site locations of Johnston Community College.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains all public gardens.
- Mows all areas maintained as grass lawns.
- Maintains building accessibility and appearance by picking up papers and trash from walkways and parking lots.
- Preforms housekeeping duties for all publicly used facilities.
- Performs general maintenance and repairs on all equipment.
- Uses integrated pest management to control unwanted pests.
- Installs and maintains plant materials.
- Assist with the care and maintenance of live animal exhibits.
- Must be able to work independently and or with little supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions.
- Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of how to work with cleaning chemicals safely.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; hazardous materials and blood borne pathogens; zoonotic diseases; venomous plants and animals; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact