Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Saturday, August 1, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or a computer science-related field. Required knowledge includes networking infrastructure, operating systems, servers and hardware installation, as well as a working knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
Education Preferred: Master's Degree in Information Technology or a computer science-related field or a Master's Degree with 18 graduate credit hours in Information Technology or a computer science-related field. The ideal candidate will possess expertise and/or industry certifications as MCSE, MCSA, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+ or Red Hat (RHCT/RHCE), CCNA (or higher Cisco Networking certification), CISSP, or any combination of those listed.
Experience Minimum: One year teaching experience. Two years managing computer network(s) or server system administration.
Experience Preferred: Three or more years teaching experience in a college setting and a working knowledge of Blackboard/Canvas LMS. Five or more years managing computer network(s) and server system administration with additional training in PHP, MySQL™/SQL®, and markup languages. Six months working with VMWare® ESXi™ and vSphere™ would be a plus.
Johnston Community College is looking for a faculty member to lead our students into the future of Information Technology as part of the Business and Applied Technologies division. As we move forward we expect to be not just meeting, but exceeding student expectations in terms of content and delivery in our courses. Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide a comprehensive educational instructional program committed to quality teaching and successful student achievement. Employees in this classification perform instructional work. Candidate must be able to explain and teach community college students from various backgrounds, cultures, ages, and experience levels subjects centered on Information Technology concepts and applications. Areas covered include, but are not limited to, the information processing cycle, operating systems (client- and server-side), security, and programming concepts. Candidate must be able to not only teach theory and concepts, but must also be able to apply them in a lab environment. Candidate must also participate in continual maintenance of networking equipment, operating systems, and servers to support classroom environment as well as maintaining the onsite Testing Center. Candidate will be able to advance through several software applications from a beginning level to a more complex level and must have a teaching-level understanding of each program. Classes are taught in the classroom in a seated environment and are supplemented with online content and labs. Select classes may be taught online. Candidate performs other work as assigned.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Teaches and instructs classes; conducts learning activities.
- Prepares lesson activities; prepares and oversees projects.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations.
- Maintains functionality and inventory of lab areas and equipment.
- Assists in maintaining the onsite Testing Center.
- Advises students in curriculum pathways as well a continuing education courses leading to industry certification.
- Maintains security of desktops, laptops, servers, tools, and equipment.
- Maintains Microsoft® Windows™ operating systems on 46-60 client systems and 8-12 servers.
- Assists in maintaining VMWare® server and virtual machine environment.
- Assists in maintaining NDG NetLab+ VE server for virtualized, web presence for internal and external labs.
- Develops additional, meaningful opportunities for Information Technology students including, but not limited to, clubs, IT Academy, internships, guest speakers, etc.
- Attends and pursues meaningful professional development opportunities to keep current with content and pedagogy to utilize in teaching.
- Be proactive in recruiting and maintaining relationships with advisory board members with a broad representation from the Johnston County community.
- Other duties as assigned.
This instructor may mentor IT adjunct instructors.
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of number systems (binary, octal, and hexadecimal) and how to subnet in both IP(v4) and IPv6
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
- Knowledge of Operating Systems: Microsoft® Windows™ 10; Windows Server™ 2012R2, 2016, 2019; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, 8; Ubuntu
- Knowledge of Computer Hardware (equivalent to CompTIA A+) consistent to build and troubleshoot
Additional familiarity with Sophos® UTM systems, Cisco ASA™, and/or Palo Alto Network systems would be preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. (Typical movement of computer and/or networking equipment weighing approximately 5-25 lbs. during/prior/after classes.)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact