245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Closes: Sunday, December 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual must be capable of a high level of independent judgment and critical analysis and must possess the ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of personnel, including technical and non-technical personnel. Should be detail-oriented and demonstrate above average organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Must be capable of working on multiple tasks simultaneously and follow through on all projects to completion. Must be able to take initiative and work well both independently and as part of a team.
Education Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, analytics, information systems, computer science, mathematics, social sciences, higher education or a related field.
Experience Minimum: Four (4) to six (6) years of higher education experience with two to three years of experience in a data collection, analysis, and reporting-related position. Experience extracting data from ERP systems. Experience in descriptive statistical analysis. Experience with data visualization tools and techniques (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, SAS Visual Analytics) and experience developing dashboards and reports to support decision-making. Knowledge of survey design, methodology, and software packages (e.g., Qualtrics).
Education Preferred: Master’s degree in one of disciplines listed above.
Experience Preferred: North Carolina community college experience. Experience working with Colleague, ZogoTech’s analytic tools, and SQL query language. Experience designing and implementing quantitative research projects. Knowledge of research design and appropriate statistical methods of analysis. Experience with applications for statistical analysis (e.g., SPSS, SAS, R, Python). Knowledge/experience designing and implementing research projects. Knowledge of advanced statistical methods. Familiarity with qualitative data analysis methods and software. Experience in preparing and submitting IPEDS and state-level mandated reports.
This position provides leadership and performs all necessary functions related to the collection, interpretation, and use of institutional data for planning, assessment, and decision making.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead efforts to effectively support strategic, data-informed decisions by interpreting and transforming data into practical information through statistical analysis, visualization, and written reporting of college data.
- Oversee implementation of official institutional surveys including developing and programming of online surveys, sampling, administration, promotion, response rate monitoring, and merging of survey data with other sources of data.
- Promote effective practices and solutions to comply with state, federal, and accreditation reporting requirements; serve as the institutional keyholder for IPEDS and as the data coordinator for the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) annual reporting plan; inform colleagues on external changes in reporting requirements and propose and help implement adjustments to institutional policies and practices as required to manage such changes.
- Design queries and reports employing the data warehouse, ERP and data analytic tools; develop and maintain the college’s data dictionary.
- Collaborate with internal and external constituencies to determine and clarify data, reports, and research requirements; provide training to stakeholders on the use of data tools.
- Direct institutional research through the collection of quantitative and qualitative data. This includes ensuring methodologically accurate survey design, using appropriate sampling and data collection procedures, conducting descriptive and inferential statistical analysis, and reporting results to a range of audiences.
- Oversee approaches to data collection consistent with institution needs; identify and/or create reliable and valid data collection instruments; organize and manage institutional data sets to address internal and external data needs; promote accuracy, integrity, and consistency of data.
- Support college-wide planning and institutional effectiveness efforts, particularly in the areas of college/program accreditation and various short and long-term improvement initiatives.
- Design and maintain data visualizations and dashboards that provide real-time updates on key performance indicators and metrics.
- Fulfill ad-hoc institutional data requests from internal and external stakeholders including requests from government, governing agencies, and accrediting bodies.
- Document project processes, sources, and techniques to ensure consistent application of methodology in future projects.
- Supply periodic updates of institutional data as requested by various institutional stakeholders.
- Maintain currency in trends and best practices in institutional research.
- Manage a variety of diverse projects, attending to detail, accuracy, and deadlines.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Receives direction from the Director of Assessment, Research, and Evaluation.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Report complex data and research findings based on the knowledge level and needs of the audience of the information.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situation where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Understand and interpret pertinent State Education and Administrative codes, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
- Ability to retrieve data from student information systems.
- Ability to complete file transfers between systems.
- Proficient in computer programs: Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, statistical analysis software, and online survey packages.
- Knowledge of modern office equipment including computers and printers.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee must be able to communicate effectively. The employee must be able to meet mobility requirements and be able to occasionally move materials of up to 10 pounds. Must be able to access print material and utilize the information effectively.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact