Regional Center for the Advancement of Children, HCC Campus, 185 Freedlander Dr., Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Thursday, May 23, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Must be 21 years of age, Associates Degree in Early Childhood B-K, or related field. Minimum 2 years of experience in an Early Childhood setting. Professional level of educational theory, child development and teaching skills. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Capable of relating to diverse age and demographic backgrounds. Physical ability sufficient to frequently walk, bend, stoop and lift up to 50 pounds. Possess sound knowledge of the procedures and regulations specific to the care and education of infants and children. Possess a willingness to learn necessary skills and knowledge and to strive for continuous improvement. Demonstrate diplomacy, tact and professional demeanor.
Bachelor's Degree in B-K, or related field, and two years of experience in an Early Childhood setting.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Lead Teacher is responsible for planning and implementing the daily program of activities for a group of children in the Regional Center for the Advancement of Children and to follow Child Care Standards to promote the health, safety, and wellbeing of all children in their care.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
Essential Job Duties
To establish and maintain a safe and healthy learning environment
- Designs appropriate room arrangement to support the goals of the classroom
- Plans and implements nutritious meal
- Promotes healthy eating habits
- Maintains a safe environment
- Posts necessary information to ensure the safety and well-being of the children
- Maintains an orderly learning environment
- To advance physical and intellectual competence
- Provides a balance between child-initiated and teacher-initiated activities
- Provides a balance between quiet and active learning experiences
- Uses equipment for inside and outside play to promote physical development
- Involves children in planning and implementing learning activities
- Provides an integrated curriculum that meets the needs of each child
- Provides experiences that promotes language, literacy, and number development
To support social and emotional development and provide positive guidance
- Implements hands-on activities that develop positive self-worth and social skills
- Implements culturally diverse experiences
- Uses and promotes positive guidance techniques
- Provides a wide variety of creative and expressive activities
- Establishes routines with smooth transition periods
- Communicates with children at their developmental level
- Encourages children to be independent
To establish positive and productive relationships with families
- Promotes open communication with parents through weekly progress notes, monthly newsletter, or semi-annual parent conferences
- Provides a variety of ways that families can participate in the program
- Encourages parents to participant in the program
To ensure a well-run, purposeful program responsive to participant needs
- Assesses program supplies and materials needed prior to implementing activities
- Supervise assistants, aides, and volunteers working in the classroom
- Maintains written plans in a weekly/monthly basis
- Assesses children's needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis
- Uses the results of assessment to plan activities
- Accurately maintains classroom budget
To maintain a commitment to professionalism
- Promotes the center's mission and educational objectives
- Supports the center's code of core values
- Engages in ongoing staff development to improve personal and professional skills
- Supports the professional growth and colleagues by sharing materials and provides feedback with encouragement
- Attends staff meetings, workshops, and in-service training as required
- Supports and encourages college-sponsored activities
HCC Core Values Responsibilities
- Learn new guidelines and processes in performing duties and advising students
- Create a student-centered environment
- Work toward operational excellence; continuous improvement of processes
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and our learning community
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision, and values and promote and support coworkers in the most positive manner.
HCC ELI (Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative) Responsibilities
- Implement a team approach in the performance of tasks; work with others to analyze a situation, establish priorities, and apply resources for solving a problem or accomplishing a task
- Accept responsibility for job performance and assigned tasks; exhibit individual behaviors that support the official goals and objectives of the college and its members
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff in a professional and timely manner
- Approach problems as a learning opportunity and implement strategies to reduce problems
- Maximize resources to process information; acquire, evaluate, organize, manage, interpret, and communicate information to coworkers, faculty, staff, and students
- Exhibit flexibility and receptivity to changing technologies, methods, processes, work environments, and organizational structure and practices
Strategic Planning Responsibilities
- Financial Perspective: Maximize use of funds by efficiently managing current funds and enable new areas of growth and expansion
- Client Perspective: Work with internal partners to share information and improve processes; work with external partners and students to eliminate operational redundancies, improve accuracy, timely processing and lower costs; establish value-based partnerships with students and external partners
- Internal Perspective: Establish new services, research opportunities, enhance processes, capture customer information, track performance; support new and existing services, continually improve processes, and create flexible infrastructure
- Learning and Growing Perspective: Evaluate skill requirements; implement knowledge-sharing technologies; and develop a culture of accountability and appreciation
As required by regulating licensure authority; CPR and/or first aid certification or willingness to obtain. TB Test. State agency background check. Health provider physical at the employee's expense.
Physical ability to lift/carry children 15 – 50 pounds, stoop, bend, push, pull, kneel, squat, reach, stand, walk, and/or sit to meet the needs of the children. Visually supervise children and respond appropriately to verbal and non-verbal cues. Mobility to respond to imminently harmful situations.
Exercise good judgment in all areas of the care of children; Visually supervise children and respond appropriately to verbal and non-verbal cues; Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively to imminently harmful situations; May assist with personal hygiene, medical needs, toileting, diapering.
Exposure to physical actions or bodily fluids as a part of the childcare environment.
Personal Protective Equipment
Utilization of PPE equipment recommended through state licensing agency.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. The President or appropriate supervisory personnel may assign additional duties. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title with or without notice.
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu, then select position applying for.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide 3 professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.