Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
Closes: Thursday, July 22, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate’s degree in Education or a related field.
Education Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree.
Experience Minimum: Three (3) to five (5) years of experience as a tutor for adult learners. Earned A or B in the subject areas for which tutoring will be provided.
Coordinates the Tutorial Program by scheduling tutorial sessions and study groups. Provides referrals to students who desire supplemental tutoring. Provides supplemental tutoring as needed. Provides assistance with the operations of the Student Support Services Department by performing professional and clerical duties. **This is a 10 month position.**
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates the Tutorial Program including recruiting, selecting, and training part-time tutors; reviewing and processing time sheets; and monitoring and evaluating work performed by tutors
- Provides tutoring for students and serves as a resource for tutors
- Maintains master schedule of Tutors’ availability and participants’ tutoring and study group needs, and arranges for the use of appropriate space for tutoring and study groups
- Coordinate training of tutors based on the National Tutoring Association’s guidelines and TRIO Policies and Procedures
- Maintains program certification by keeping required NTA certification current
- Ensures computer lab software is kept up to date to meet the needs of students who receive supplemental academic support; maintains all lab space ensuring supplies in labs are in place and places requests for resources, repairs and helpdesk tickets
- Responds to inquiries from potential participants, faculty, and staff regarding the Student Support Services program and tutoring and/or study group services
- Provides documentation of all communication with students via a shared database and keeps records of students who request and receive tutoring and study group services, as well as services from other college tutoring programs
- Maintains list of academic resources for students and provides referrals to students as necessary
- Coordinates TRIO volunteer activities, provides training for volunteer, and documents volunteer hours
- Serves as advisor to the TRIO Service Committee
- Contributes to the implementation of the Student Support Services program and assists with coordination of services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear and is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact