Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
Closes: Saturday, October 1, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of that knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master’s Degree from an American Library Association (ALA) or regionally accredited institution in Library and Information Science.
Experience Minimum: Three (3) years of library experience with supervisory experience or work history demonstrating an increase in administrative or leadership responsibilities
Experience Preferred: Experience in higher education (community college or university setting).
The Library Director coordinates all aspects of library resources and services in support of academic programs, faculty instruction, and student success and retention. This position provides leadership in the direction of library personnel, public service, collection development, technical service, and special collection functions. The Library Director is responsible for the external and internal reporting of data and maintaining SACCOC accreditation requirements of the Library. The Library Director reports to the Department Chair of Academic Enrichment Services.
Come take a look at our JCC Library!
Knowledge & Responsibilities:Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the department chair and library staff to develop the library’s goals, objectives, and methods for achieving the mission of the library; work effectively across the campus as an advocate for the library in accordance with the college’s mission
- Complete periodic, on-going evaluation of the library’s resources, programming, and services to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and academic programs of study to ensure appropriateness, adequacy, and effectiveness
- Ensures that reference services, circulation activities, and other library functions are effectively performed during the library’s operating hours
- Ensures that information literacy instruction and training in resource usage is available and adequate for students and faculty in all academic programs of study by conducting observations of instruction and training sessions each semester; providing appropriate feedback and professional development for librarians
- Participates in student literacy instruction and faculty training by serving as a liaison to designated programs of study
- Implements and manages policies and procedures of the library while interpreting and applying college policies and procedures on a daily basis to ensure an environment conducive to learning
- Oversees the selection, purchasing, processing, and discarding of all print and non-print library materials and collections according to the collection development policies and in accordance with accreditation needs for all programs of study
- Engage faculty and staff in the selection of appropriate materials and resources
- Develops, maintains, and strengthens collaborative efforts with consortia and other resource sharing groups
- Integrates principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and cultural competency into operational and curricular elements of the library programming and services
- Manages the day-to-day operations and staff of the library, including scheduling and duties of each staff
- Supervises library staff by participating in the hiring, scheduling, developing, and evaluating of staff; maintains accurate payroll and leave records of library staff
- Supervises the timely and accurate processing, cataloguing, and circulation of library resources
- Oversees outreach activities, programming, and services from planning through implementation and evaluation with focus on effectiveness, student success, and retention
- Manages the compilation, preservation, cataloguing, and accessibility of college archives
- Prepares the annual budget and library-related JCC Foundation budgets; demonstrates effective stewardship of resources and an understanding of the curricular needs of the community college
- Prepares grant applications; plans, implements, and evaluates earned grant awards
- Supervises the cash handling of the Library in consultation with the Business Office
- Collects and maintains statistical data concerning library operations and usage
- Oversees data collection for annual reporting internally and externally including gathering, reviewing, validating, evaluating, and synthesizing data
- Submits IPEDS, ACRL, and other external required reports
- Serves as lead for the library’s accreditation preparation and ensures the Library’s SACSCOC accreditation requirements are met.
- Oversees marketing efforts and information distribution via the library’s website, social media, and other appropriate means
- Responsible for the Library Advisory Committee; serves as the chairperson of the Library Advisory Committee
- Represents the library and college at meetings, committees, conferences, and in the community in order to expand partnerships and stay current on trends and the changing roles of libraries in collegiate settings
- Actively participates in professional development and maintains communication and membership within appropriate professional associations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job provides supervision for the following: librarians, library specialists, student workers, and volunteers.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have experience with library management systems and should be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk; stoop or kneel; reach with hands and arms; use hands and fingers; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact