Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, September 29, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
High School Diploma or equivalent and 3-5 years of experience in a related trades field. Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Experience as a HVAC service technician with large tonnage boiler/chillers and knowledge of automated building systems.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
To perform or assist in a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and manual tasks in building maintenance; operate power-driven equipment. Incumbents are normally expected to solve most work problems independently and to make recommendations to supervisory personnel regarding those matters which involve policy decisions, technical questions, and unusual problems.
* Immediate hire need. Applications will be reviewed as received. Position open until filled.*
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• The primary purpose of the position is to provide the technical capability needed for maintenance, repair, and calibration of central heating and air conditioning systems. Responsibilities also include the maintenance and repair of all other types of ventilation and mechanical refrigeration equipment.
• Load, unload and transport parts, materials and equipment
• Operate small hand and power tools
• Operate a variety of air tools
• Operate spray units
• Operate power driven street equipment
• Operate vehicles and equipment including pick-up trucks, genie lifts, forklifts, tractors, golf carts, and mini-excavators
• May occasionally operate heavy equipment
• Clean and maintain tools and mechanical equipment
• Perform minor plumbing, electrical and carpentry work
• Respond to emergency calls at anytime
• Repair vandalism
• Perform maintenance on HVAC units; heat pumps; gas furnaces; chillers; boilers.
• Install/repair or replace light fixtures, ballasts, switches and outlets
• Repair minor roof leaks
• Perform minor building repairs and alterations
• Perform painting duties: sand, caulk, prime and paint
• Troubleshoot, service and perform repairs on decorative streetlights, parking lot lights, park lights and area lighting
- Conduct routine maintenance and keep records of monthly preventative maintenance
- Assist in the performance of arboretum and grounds tasks such as mowing, landscaping, plant maintenance, cleaning gutters, leaf removal, street and sidewalk cleaning, and snow removal if needed.
- Minor repairs and maintenance to motor vehicle fleet
- Minor repairs and maintenance of equipment
- Operate Building Automated Systems for HVAC which includes (Creating Occupied Schedules, Event Schedules, Setting Building Setpoints, and performing trouble shooting).
- Ability to complete setups for all college events as requested by Event Coordinator. This includes setting up tents, tables, chairs, trash cans, podiums, providing electrical access, and directing traffic if needed.
- Other duties as assigned
• Principles and practices of customer service
• Use and purpose of general construction and maintenance tools and equipment
• Basic construction and maintenance methods and terminology of trade
• Principles and practices of work safety
• Understanding basic safety principals
• Represent the College in a positive manner
• Establish, maintain and foster cooperative working relations with others from diverse backgrounds, including elected officials, co-workers and the public effectively and with courtesy, in person, via e-mail and over the phone
• Follow written and oral instructions and procedures from supervisors
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, by using proper English grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Perform a wide variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of facilities
• Operate trucks and a variety of power-driven equipment
• Perform heavy manual labor
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
Haywood Community College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or status as a covered veteran in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Upon request, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities so that they may be able to perform the essential functions of their job unless doing so would result in an undue burden for the College.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.