Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, January 31, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum: High School Diploma or equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in building upkeep including plumbing, electrical, HVAC and carpentry, as well as knowledge of vehicle maintenance. Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Preferred: Diploma or AAS in Electrical Systems Technology, Industrial Systems Technology or HVAC Systems Technology; Skilled in HVAC and knowledge of automated building systems. EPA certification for recovery and handling of Freon.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To perform or assist in a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and manual tasks in building maintenance; operate power-driven equipment; and may act as a lead person on maintenance or repair jobs. Incumbents are normally expected to solve most work problems independently and to make recommendations to supervisory personnel regarding those matters which involve policy decisions, technical questions and unusual problems.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Load, unload and transport parts, materials and equipment
- Operate small hand and power tools
- Operate a variety of air tools
- Operate spray units
- Operate power driven street equipment
- Operate vehicles and equipment including pick-up trucks, genie lifts, forklifts, tractors, golf carts, and mini-excavators
- May occasionally operate heavy equipment
- Clean and maintain tools and mechanical equipment
- Perform minor plumbing, electrical and carpentry work
- Respond to emergency calls at anytime
- Repair vandalism
- Perform maintenance on HVAC units; heat pumps; gas furnaces; chillers; boilers.
- Install/repair or replace light fixtures, ballasts, switches and outlets
- Repair minor roof leaks
- Perform minor building repairs and alterations
- Perform painting duties: sand, caulk, prime and paint
- Troubleshoot, service and perform repairs on residential decorative street lights, parking lot lights, park lights and area lighting
- Conduct routine maintenance and safety facility inspections monthly and keep records of monthly preventative maintenance?
- Assist in the performance of arboretum and grounds tasks such as mowing, landscaping, plant maintenance, cleaning gutters, leaf removal, street and sidewalk cleaning, and snow removal.
- Minor repairs and maintenance to motor vehicle fleet
- Minor repairs and maintenance of equipment
- Other duties as assigned
• Principles and practices of customer service
• Use and purpose of general construction and maintenance tools and equipment
• Basic construction and maintenance methods and terminology of trade
• Principles and practices of work safety
• Understanding basic safety principals
• Represent the College in a positive manner
• Establish, maintain and foster cooperative working relations with others from diverse backgrounds, including elected officials, co-workers and the public effectively and with courtesy, in person, via e-mail and over the phone
• Follow written and oral instructions and procedures from supervisors
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, by using proper English grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Perform a wide variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks in the construction, maintenance
and repair of facilities
• Operate trucks and a variety of power driven equipment
• Perform heavy manual labor
- North Carolina Driver's License; must have acceptable Motor Vehicle Record reporting.
- Preferred NC Heating and Cooling License.
- Preferred License/Certification to remove/add/handle refrigerant.
- Must be physically capable of sustained lifting of up to 50 lbs., standing, crouching, climbing and walking
- Physical strength/agility sufficient to perform a wide variety of frequent physical task including moving equipment/ furniture, operating equipment, lifting, stooping and bending
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments
- Must comply with respiratory program and OSHA standards
- Speak, read and understand sufficiently to successfully receive/provide information to/from the public, co-worker.
- Work in and outdoors. Work in ice and snow includes slippery conditions as well as temperature and weather extremes. Good visual and audible acuity, manual dexterity skills required for job functions.
- Use of power equipment, chemicals, inhalants.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Gloves, back support (as needed when lifting), steel-toed safety boots, respirator as required, eye protection.
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Click on the Job title and then the apply link for the application website.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources upon offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide 3 professional references with email addresses.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus.
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.