245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Closes: Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate Degree with Four (4) years of working experience.
Experience Minimum: 2 years’ experience in network infrastructure and network hardware.
The Network Security Engineer is responsible for provisioning, deployment, configuration, and administration of the day-to-day operations for the security posture of the network. These include firewalls, routers, switches, various network-monitoring tools, and virtual private networks (VPNs). Checks for security breaches, checks Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance, supports, and updates response programs and processes, evaluates, and responds to cyber-attacks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serves as primary point-of-contact in reviewing threats and vulnerabilities and ensuring servers and firewalls are properly configured and managed.
- Designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks.
- Installing, configuring, and supporting network equipment including routers, proxy servers, switches, WAN accelerators, DNS and DHCP.
- Procuring network equipment and managing subcontractors involved with network installation.
- Configuring firewalls, routing, and switching to maximize network efficiency and security.
- Maximizing network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Arranging scheduled upgrades.
- Investigating faults in the network.
- Updating network equipment to the latest firmware releases.
- Reporting network status to key stakeholders.
- Serves as the technology contact for the College’s Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance program.
- Ensure the necessary network scans are performed to support PCI compliance.
- Review, report on, and lead efforts to have corrected abnormal network security scan results.
- Monitor current reports of computer and network viruses to decide when to ensure systems have up-to-date virus protection.
- Perform risk assessments and execute tests of infrastructure related data processing systems to ensure functioning of data processing activities and security measures.
- Evaluate and respond to cyber-attacks.
- Establish procedures to protect data and evidence for use in prosecuting cybercrime.
- Works with other divisions/departments on projects/issues related to the security, infrastructure, telephone system, and customer care. Document's efforts, progress, and completion.
- Designs, updates, and modifies the College’s voice, video, and data infrastructure to meet needs.
- Administers the core and outlying hubs and switches.
- Administers the College’s remote access systems such as the Virtual Private Network (VPN) and other remote access systems.
- Administers the College’s security devices such as firewalls, intrusion protection systems, and bandwidth management systems.
- Uses specialized network management tools such as protocol analyzer and network management software to support and analyze overall circuit performance.
- Analyses network protocols and traffic patterns as part of network troubleshooting efforts.
- Analyzes vendor hardware and software for performance, fit and recommends solutions.
- Performs routine backups of infrastructure electronics configurations.
- Aids with network wiring installation.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Replace tools and other service support equipment after use.
- Provide courteous and professional service.
- Maintains continuity binders.
- Enters solutions into Help Desk database.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned in support of the College's goals and core values.
Supervisory Responsibility: This job has no supervisory responsibilities
How to Apply
Job Post Contact