Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, August 24, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master of Science Degree in Nursing with a focus in Nursing Education or Master of Science Degree in Nursing and meet the education requirements for Nurse Educators as outlined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing within the first three years of employment, which includes: have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment.
This preparation may be met by one of the following:
(1) completion of 45 contact hours of continuing education courses;
(2) completion of a certificate program in nursing education;
(3) nine semester hours of graduate course work;
(4) national certification in nursing education; or
(5) documentation of successful completion of structured, individualized development activities of at least 45 contact hours approved by the NC Board of Nursing.
Experience Minimum: Two calendar years, or the equivalent of full time clinical practice experience as a registered nurse.
Experience Preferred: Two calendar years and recent clinical practice experience as a registered nurse, and teaching experience in nursing at the community college or university level. Recent medical-surgical/acute care experience.
Under the supervision of the Program Director of Nursing Education, Nursing Faculty are required to provide quality instruction in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings and to assume responsibilities designed to enhance the Nursing Program and Johnston Community College as assigned by the Program Director of Nursing Education, and/or the Department Chair for Nursing and Allied Health, and/or the Associate Vice President of Health, Wellness, and Human Services.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Providing instruction in classroom, laboratory and clinical settings.
- Participating in the development, implementation and evaluation of curriculum and learning resources.
- Participating in the development of course outlines and overviews.
- Participating in student advising.
- Evaluating student learning.
- Maintaining accurate student records pertaining to attendance, health and achievement of program outcomes.
- Participating in the evaluation and selection of instructional supplies and equipment, textbooks and supplemental materials for students and the Learning Resource Center.
- Participating in recruitment and selection of students.
- Participating in program evaluation and development and implementation of departmental policies and the annual departmental plan.
- Attending Faculty and Nursing Advisory Committee Meetings.
- Providing quality care for patients involved in selected learning experiences within the guidelines of the North Carolina Nursing Practice Act.
- Contributing to effective relationships between the College and affiliating health service agencies.
- Complying with all requirements of the health service agencies.
- Participating in Department and College graduation ceremonies.
- Participating in affairs of the College including recruitment of students, maintenance of learning environment, student activities, committee appointments, and other duties assigned by the College Administration.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Program Director of Nursing Education, and/or Department Chair of Nursing and Allied Health, and/or Associate Vice President of Health, Wellness, and Human Services.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Additional Qualifications: (Desired)
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Membership in Professional Organizations
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
Ability to compute fractions, percentages and decimals.
Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The faculty member who has primary responsibility for coordinating the planning, implementation and evaluation of each major nursing course MUST hold at minimum a Master of Science Degree in Nursing and have had a minimum of one academic year of full time teaching experience in a nursing program.
Continuation of employment is contingent upon verification of current North Carolina Registered Nurse License on file with the Director of Nursing Programs.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact