Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, September 30, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
(1) Applicant must hold a current unrestricted license or multi state licensure privilege to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina;
(2) hold a master's degree in a nursing related field from a regionally-accredited institution;
(3) have two calendar years or the equivalent of full time clinical experience as a registered nurse;
(4) demonstrate excellent written communication and interpersonal skills;
(5) demonstrate commitment to the community college philosophy and to teaching traditional and non-traditional students from a variety of backgrounds;
(6) maintain competence in the areas of assigned responsibility; and
(7) have current knowledge of evidence-based nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse.
(1)Meet minimum requirements and the following:
(2) Significant full-time clinical experience within the last five years as a registered nurse in a medical/surgical setting or related position (i.e. staff nurse, advanced practice nurse).
(3) Specialty certification, advanced practice designation and/or certified nurse educator.
(4) Recent teaching experience in an NCBON-approved and/or nationally-accredited community college nursing program.
(5) Previous experience instructing nursing students within the classroom, lab, and clinical settings.
(6) Experience and recent training or certification in high-fidelity simulation as applied to nursing education.
(7) Experience working with a nursing faculty team to develop and align curricula and assessment plans
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Full-time teaching faculty are responsible for instructing students on-campus, off-campus, on-line, and by web-enhanced courses in accordance with College policy and procedures; advising students; maintaining office hours; assisting with registration; serving on College committees; developing curriculum; maintaining professional competence; and participating in professional development activities. Faculty members are responsible to the Region A Nursing Consortium, Dean. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, advisor and facilitator of learning.
* This position is full time and will work during Fall and Spring academic semesters *
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Teaching up to 30 contact hours of lecture, laboratory, clinical and/or simulation courses each semester. Teaching load may include day, evening, weekend and online course assignments at main campus and offside locations including regional clinical partners.
- Utilizing high levels of energy, creativity, and motivation to design and implement effective teaching and learning practices. Teaching team-developed and college-approved course objectives in the classroom, lab, clinical facility and simulation.
- Facilitating student learning through in-class and out-of-class activities. Engaging students during office hours, tutoring, remediation and mentoring activities.
- Communicating all pertinent information regarding policies, objectives, course requirements, evaluation methods, grading system, and any other aspects pertinent to courses/program/college to students and others.
- Maintaining accurate, timely records pertaining to student progress and behaviors. Making appropriate referrals for students experiencing academic, personal, or other problems.
- Devoting appropriate time weekly to lecture/lab/clinical/simulation preparation, classroom and clinical assessment, and timely documentation of student performance.
- Utilizing Moodle and other educationally-sound technologies to augment courses.
- Preparing and conducting student evaluations including transition to practice site visits.
- Preparing clinical, hospital, and laboratory schedules for students as requested by director.
- Making/approving student assignments and supervising nursing students in clinical settings.
- Notifying program director of student issues or variations from policy/procedures.
- Assisting with planning, implementation, evaluation and revision of college curriculum.
- Contributing to the institution though participation in program and department meetings, and service on college committees and assigned community events.
- Collaborating with faculty, staff and students in a diverse and collegial organizational culture with high standards for performance.
- Modeling professional communication and behaviors for students.
- Remaining current in nursing practice, nursing and clinical education, and trends in community college education through professional development, further education and/or scholarship.
- Adhering to the policies and standard practices of Haywood Community College and the North Carolina Community College System, as well as the North Carolina Board of Nursing, clinical partners, and the Region A Nursing Consortium.
- Utilizing the appropriate chain of command within Region A Nursing Consortium to report problems and/or progress.
- Assuming responsibilities as designated by the Program Director or designee.
- Assisting in selection of new equipment and maintaining college and clinical agency property and equipment.
- Additional Requirements
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- In addition, the lead instructor will assist in preparing and conducting the evaluation of part-time instructors, and ensuring students evaluate the clinical agency and clinical experience.
- This position requires that employees provide own transportation to assigned regional clinical sites.
- This position may require the use of college-owned vehicle for job-related functions. A valid NC driver’s license is required along with a satisfactory motor vehicle report(s) from state(s) of recent residency.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
Haywood Community College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or status as a covered veteran in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Upon request, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities so that they may be able to perform the essential functions of their job unless doing so would result in an undue burden for the College
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.