245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, February 16, 2024
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master of Science Degree in Nursing with a focus in Nursing Education or Doctorate of Philosophy in Nursing or PhD in Nursing Candidate and meet the education requirements for Nurse Educators as outlined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing within the first three years of employment, which includes: have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment.
This preparation may be met by one of the following:
(1) completion of 45 contact hours of continuing education courses;
(2) completion of a certificate program in nursing education;
(3) nine semester hours of graduate course work;
(4) national certification in nursing education; or
(5) documentation of successful completion of structured, individualized development activities of at least 45 contact hours approved by the NC Board of Nursing.
Experience Minimum: Two (2) calendar years, or the equivalent of, full time clinical practice experience as a registered nurse.
Experience Preferred: Two (2) calendar years or more clinical practice experience as a registered nurse, and teaching experience in nursing at the community college or university level.
Under the supervision of the Department Chair, Nursing Education Programs and/or Assistant Program Director, Nursing Education, Nursing Faculty are required to provide quality instruction in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings and to assume responsibilities designed to enhance the Nursing Program and Johnston Community College as assigned by the Department Chair, Nursing Education Programs and/or Assistant Program Director, Nursing Education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Providing instruction in classroom, laboratory and clinical settings.
- Participating in the development, implementation and evaluation of curriculum and learning resources.
- Participating in the development of course outlines and overviews.
- Participating in student advising.
- Evaluating student learning.
- Maintaining accurate student records pertaining to attendance, health and achievement of program outcomes.
- Participating in the evaluation and selection of instructional supplies and equipment, textbooks and supplemental materials for students and the Learning Resource Center.
- Participating in recruitment and selection of students.
- Participating in program evaluation and development and implementation of departmental policies and the annual departmental plan.
- Attending Faculty and Nursing Advisory Committee Meetings.
- Providing quality care for patients involved in selected learning experiences within the guidelines of the North Carolina Nursing Practice Act.
- Contributing to effective relationships between the College and affiliating health service agencies.
- Complying with all requirements of the health service agencies.
- Participating in Department and College graduation ceremonies.
- Participating in affairs of the College including recruitment of students, maintenance of learning environment, student activities, committee appointments, and other duties assigned by the College Administration.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Department Chair, Nursing Education Programs and/or Assistant Director, Nursing Education Programs.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee must be able to communicate effectively. The employee must be able to meet mobility requirements and be able to occasionally move materials of up to 10 pounds. Must be able to access print material and utilize the information effectively.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The faculty member who has primary responsibility for coordinating the planning, implementation and evaluation of each major nursing course MUST hold at minimum a Master of Science Degree in Nursing and have had a minimum of one academic year of full-time teaching experience in a nursing program.
Continuation of employment is contingent upon verification of current North Carolina Registered Nurse License on file with the Program Director of Nursing Education.
Please note: At this time, some clinical partners require the COVID-19 vaccination for faculty. However, this is subject to change.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of
- American Heart Association, Health Care Provider CPR – Adult, Infant, Child
Additional Qualifications: (Desired)
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Membership in Professional Organizations
How to Apply
Job Post Contact