- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, December 31, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree or college diploma in plumbing and two years of industry related work experience in plumbing
- High school diploma and seven years of industry related industry related work experience in plumbing
- Industry certification in plumbing
- State License in plumbing
- Organization/Associate affiliation
- One year teaching experience at the college-level (In addition to required years of work experience)
- Other supporting documents related to plumbing and/or teaching (Certificates, continuing education credits, awards, publications presentations etc.)
The Plumbing Instructor delivers instruction in the plumbing field of study and student success at Caledonia Correctional Institution. Develop course syllabi, outlines, and lesson plans for curriculum courses assigned. Review and select appropriate textbooks and instructional materials and media for the classes to be taught. Develops lectures, classroom activities, shop, hands-on exercises, and/or actual work site exercises for students to participate and learn. Coordinate shop schedules. Monitor and ensure shop supplies are available for shop classes. Coordinate clinical schedules with the partnering facility and students. Monitors and records student progress in courses. Administers tests or other evaluation methods to students; grades and gives feedback on exercises, homework assignments, and tests. Keeps records of student attendance. Serves as advisor to assigned students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Functions: Under the supervision of the Department Head, the Instructor plans and implements educational activities to ensure that student learning outcomes are consistent with program learning outcomes and the mission of the College. The Instructor participates in ongoing professional development and campus activities and fulfills committee and quality enhancement responsibilities. The Instructor ensures continuous improvement of instruction by means of ongoing program assessment.
50% Teach assigned classes
- Create an effective learning environment
- Meet classes as assigned
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of the course
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security
- Maintain a minimum of five office hours per week to advise/assist students and no less than thirty-two hours per week on campus.
- Assist in ordering and inventory of departmental supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Assist the Learning Resource Center in selecting and maintaining a collection of books, periodicals, and audiovisual media.
- Complete and submit on time all required instructional and administrative reports and records.
- Assist in enforcement of policies and regulations applicable to students and initiate student alerts when necessary.
- Serve on various college committees.
- Serve as a representative of the College for special events.
- Participate in College events and activities.
- Serve as advisor to assigned students.
- Assist in registration and early registration.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Head, Division Chair, Dean of Curriculum Programs, and VP of Academic Affairs.
10% Shop Facilitation
- Create an effective learning environment in a shop setting
- Ensure shop supplies are available and used in the shop classes
- Facilitate scheduling of shop usage to best meet the Plumbing program and student needs
10% Coordination of Program at Partnering Facility
- Coordinate space location for class and shop schedules with partnering facility
- Manage supply/equipment funds provided by the partnering facility
- Provide updates of information between the college and the partnering facility
10% Recruit, Advise, and Retain Students
10% Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
Submit required reports
Participate in the college's assessment process, as required
Fulfill all contract provisions
Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college
5% Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students
Maintain current knowledge of programs, trends, and new developments in area of expertise
Ensure educational program quality by engaging in continuous improvement through assessment of student learning outcomes
Contribute to the College’s Quality Enhancement Plan
5% Other duties as assigned by supervisors
How to Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc.
Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application. To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application.
Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit. Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.