Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, March 17, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current credential and instructor certification in Fire
- Current Live Burn Instructor or the ability to obtain credential by enrolling in programming within 2 years
- Ability to use hand tools.
- 5+ years’ experience in public safety or EMS.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Valid NC Driver’s License and satisfactory motor vehicle report.
- Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice, Fire or Emergency Management.
- HAZWOPER Certification
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Public Safety Training Facility Coordinator will be a multi-skilled position that will require the ability to coordinate classroom schedules, use of the burn building, compliance with internal procedures and external regulations, minor maintenance and coordination of larger scale maintenance, site training and development, plus the delivery of instruction. Due to the nature of the training required for the Public Safety sector, the position will be required to maintain a flexible work schedule that can include early mornings, late afternoons and weekend hours at times.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Serve as lead oversight for PSTF safety practices.
- Serve as lead enforcer of safety protocols for PSTF training.
- Work with HCC Safety Staff for annual review of safety practices.
- Conduct regular safety audits for PSTF hands-on training classes.
- Conduct monthly safety updates for all PSTF employees.
- Maintain a master schedule for each classroom
- Maintain a master schedule for the burn building.
- Facilitate meetings with the area coordinators weekly to ensure no scheduling conflicts arise.
- Work with Public Safety officials to ensure training schedules are maintained.
- Monitor the working order of all PSTF facilities.
- Complete all minor maintenance items on related facilities in consultation with HCC maintenance staff.
- Work with HCC maintenance staff on HVAC/Plumbing maintenance items.
- Manage Fire Training facility annual service contracts, including, but not limited to, burn equipment service, liquid propane purchase, and apparatus bay doors service.
- Manage record keeping, procurement, and oversight of NFPA standard five-year review of Burn Facilities.
- Classroom set-up
- Cleaning, upkeep and repair of all apparatus’ and equipment used for training.
- Ensure all devices are functional prior to training. IE projectors, smartboards, and computers.
- Responsible for inventory of property.
- Audits of training/instructors for effective delivery.
- Burn building responsibilities
- Compliance with all pre-burn and post-burn activities and checklists.
- Responsible for inventory management of HCC owned and issued PPE for fire specific training. This includes pre-burn checks, frequent audits, cycling out of depleted gear and ensuring each party that needs PPE receives it timely and refrains from activities which require it before issuance.
- Operation and oversight of the natural gas controls for all start-up and shutdown processes
- Building cleaning and inspection after each live burn
- Repair/replace burn panels after each live burn
- Liquid propane usage monitoring
- Water usage monitoring
- Environmental monitoring of all activities to ensure EPA compliance in regards to water run-off and chemical usage in the burn building.
- Site inspections of all working and walking surfaces prior to classes utilizing the burn building.
- Rigging and railing inspections prior to all repelling activities
- Monitoring of the grounds for any unsafe conditions.
- Documentation of any abatement measures taken during inspections.
- Record retention of all inspections and maintenance.
Site Training and Development
- Model and instill a culture of safety within the PSTF and Burn Building.
- Consistently comply with all safety protocols, checklists, regulations and SOG’s.
- The Public Services Training Facility Coordinator will be required to develop and maintain training for the safe use and operation for all of the facilities of the HCC Public Safety Training Complex.
- Research, evaluate, design and revise as needed training standards and requirements to ensure compliance with the highest state and federal standards.
- Conduct or provide access to initial onboarding training for all instructors within the PSTF and maintain the training records in an accurate and organized manner.
- Conduct annual update training for all instructors and maintain the training records in an accurate and organized manner.
- Consistently review and update SOG’s for the safe use and operation of all equipment with a focus on ongoing improvement and consistent safety.
- Coordinator will serve as internal knowledge expert with all current OSFM and NFPA standards.
- Coordinator serves as front line with Burn Building and PSTF and is expected to vocalize needs or concerns relative to safety immediately.
- The Public Services Training Facility Coordinator will be expected to deliver training in their area of expertise as time allows.
- Operation of college vehicles and satisfactory motor vehicle record.
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate and/or necessary by the President of Haywood Community College
- Create a student-centered environment for on and off campus students
- Create and maintain a working relationship with county, state and federal agencies who provide and support public services to Haywood County
- Work toward operational excellence; continuous improvement of processes and seek help from advisory committees
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and our learning community
- Promote and support HCC’s mission, vision, and values and promote and support coworkers in the most positive manner.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.