FT Success Advisor
245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Closes: Monday, June 5, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's degree in related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of experience in an educational environment.
- Working knowledge of FERPA, ADA, and NACADA standards.
Education Preferred: Master's degree in related field from an accredited college or university.
Experience Preferred: Experience in a community college environment, particularly academic advising, career planning, intervention, and retention activities/strategies.
The Success Advisor will perform a variety of tasks related to advising new, enrolled, and prospective students; including, but not limited to career planning, program/course selection, and retention services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Model an understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy and mission.
- Provide academic counseling to new and prospective students; explain policies, procedures, and program requirements; and assist students in selecting educational and career goals.
- Advise and counsel students in planning and selecting courses and combinations of courses that reflect individual interests, academic preparedness, educational, and career goals.
- Advising of students may include one-on-one interactions, group advising, and online advising.
- Participate in early and late registration processes.
- Assist in the facilitation of Connect Sessions.
- Review, interpret, and evaluate applicant assessment scores and other information to determine eligibility status.
- Utilize resources such as baccalaureate degree plans, to assist students in course selection and career goals.
- Refer students to appropriate resources on and off campus based upon their needs.
- Respond within 24 hours to student and colleague phone calls and e-mail inquiries.
- Assist in the training of staff, faculty, peer advisors, and work-study students.
- Answer questions and provide information regarding admission requirements to prospective students.
- Use software to maintain advising records, facilitate correspondence; including but not limited to student outreach, follow-up, and resource referral, and assist with the delivery of applicable workshops/trainings.
- Review and update student progress and recommend action(s) regarding academic and career goals.
- Implement intervention, referral, and retention programs for students.
- Provide presentations for ACA classes, orientation, professional development, and divisional meetings.
- Adhere to strict student confidentiality guidelines.
- Treat others respectfully, speak to others courteously, and behave in such a way that creates a workplace environment that is marked by trustworthiness, honest but polite communication, and interpersonal interactions that are both personally cordial and professionally appropriate.
- Participate in Johnston Community College Committee assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position supervises departmental work-study positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to present ideas and concepts orally and in writing to a diverse audience and adapt communication style to that audience.
- Ability to translate College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions and take appropriate actions, resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes.
- Ability to work independently while contributing to the team environment.
- Ability to multitask and organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through completion with an attention to detail.
- Ability to listen to issues, synthesize information, and reach sound conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, and other software as deemed necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee must be able to communicate effectively. The employee must be able to meet mobility requirements and be able to occasionally move materials of up to 10 pounds. Must be able to access print material and utilize the information effectively.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact