Haywood Community College, Regional Center for the Advancement of Children
Closes: Thursday, September 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Must be 18 years of age; High School Diploma or GED; hold Early Childhood Credentials or willing to obtain credentials within first six months of start date, willing to commit to obtaining Associate's Degree in Early Childhood Education. Professional level of educational theory, child development and teaching skills. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Capable of relating to diverse age and demographic backgrounds. Physical ability sufficient to frequently bend, stoop and lift up to 50 pounds. Possess a willingness to learn procedures and regulations specific to the care and education of infants and children. Possess a willingness to learn necessary skills and knowledge and to strive for continuous improvement. Demonstrate diplomacy, tact and professional demeanor.
Associate's Degree in Early Childhood Education or higher. Minimum 3 years' experience in an Early Childhood setting.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for supporting the teaching staff with planning and implementing the daily program of activities for a group of children in the Regional Center for the Advancement of Children and to follow Child Care Standards to promote the high-quality care, health, safety, and wellbeing of all children in their care.
The Regional Center for the Advancement of Children is a 5-star rated state-of-the-art child care facility operated by Haywood Community College serving children ages 6 weeks – 60 months.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Performance of the Lead Teacher role in their absence.
• Having an understanding of child development and growth.
• Willingness to work with a group of children with ages ranging from infant through Pre-K.
• Assisting the Lead Teacher in planning and carrying out the daily indoor and outdoor activities, preparation and serving of meals and snacks
• Helping each child to adjust and feel secure in the center.
• Maintaining a safe, clean and pleasant environment by helping keep the center clean, appropriate communication with and around children, positive relationship with parents, children and other staff, licensure and Five Star Compliance, supervision of the group while working with one child, compliance to confidentiality policies.
• Communicating sensitivity and patience with children, supervised by teacher and director but possessing the ability to work without supervision.
• Utilization of pleasant, calm tone of voice, positive discipline techniques.
• Ability to anticipate problems and redirect children.
• Participation in staff meetings, training sessions as required by North Carolina Division of Child Development, supervision and guidance of work-study and Co-op students.
• Effective time management skills to adhere to a work schedule and on a regular basis.
• Planning and initiative to carrying out job duties in a professional manner.
• Continue education to achieve Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the RCAC.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status