Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, June 30, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum: Master’s degree in Math or a master’s degree with at least 18 graduate hours in math from a regionally accredited institution; must be committed to the community college “open door” philosophy and must adhere to research-based teaching practices that promote academic excellence in teaching and learning; must have two years of higher education teaching experience in the Math disciplinary field.
Teaching experience in Math at a community college; Blackboard and online teaching experience. Experience working with the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Functions: Under the supervision of the Department Head, the Instructor plans and implements educational activities to ensure that student learning outcomes are consistent with program learning outcomes and the mission of the College. The Instructor participates in ongoing professional development and campus activities and fulfills committee and quality enhancement responsibilities. The Instructor ensures continuous improvement of instruction by means of ongoing program assessment.
75% Teach assigned classes
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of the course.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Maintain a minimum of five office hours per week to advise/assist students and no less than thirty-two hours per week on campus.
- Assist in ordering and inventory of departmental supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Assist the Learning Resource Center in selecting and maintaining a collection of books, periodicals, and audiovisual media.
- Complete and submit on time all required instructional and administrative reports and records.
- Assist in enforcement of policies and regulations applicable to students and initiate student alerts when necessary.
- Serve on various college committees.
- Serve as a representative of the College for special events.
- Participate in College events and activities.
- Serve as advisor to assigned students.
- Assist in registration and early registration.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Head, School Chair, Associate Dean of Curriculum, and VP of Academic Affairs.
20% Recruit, Advise, and Retain Students
Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
- Submit required reports.
- Participate in the college's assessment process, as required.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
5% Ensure educational program quality
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Maintain knowledge of programs, trends, and new developments in area of expertise.
- Engage in continuous improvement through assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Contribute to the College’s Quality Enhancement Plan.
How to Apply
Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc.
Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application. To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit. Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.