Haywood Community College
185 Freedlander Dr
Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, March 22, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master's Degree with 18 graduate hours in English or related subject area from an accredited institution.
Master's Degree with 18 graduate hours in English or related subject area from an accredited institution. Teaching experience at the post-secondary level in English, Composition, Literature and Developmental Reading. Familiarity with Moodle or other learning management systems. Potential candidates must be available to teach evening sections if needed. Recent teaching experience in a community college setting is highly preferred.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Primarily instruction and public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college's commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty. Faculty members are responsible to the Dean or Program Manager. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, adviser and facilitator of learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
The instructor will be responsible for the following duties:
- Advising Students
- Assisting with registration
- Serving on college committees
- Developing curriculum
- Maintaining professional competence
- Participation in professional development activities
- Maintain annually updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation.
- Prepares course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
- Conducts evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintains records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
- Maintains posted office hours as required by College policy and procedure and be available for student conferences and tutoring.
- Responsible for the development and revision of course content, textbook/equipment selection, instructional materials and teaching assignments/scheduling.
- Responsible for administering student surveys in classes as prescribed by College procedure and discussing results with Dean or Program Manager.
- Participates in the development and implementation of articulation programs and agreements and promote student participation in such programs.
- Provides students with academic and career advisement and assistance in transferability as appropriate.
- Work with students and employers in occupational settings, on-the-job training, practicums, internships and similar work-related situations as needed.
- Maintain professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations.
- Donate academic expertise in the local, state or national community when appropriate to fulfill the community relations goals of the College.
- Serve on faculty, college and/or University and Community College System of North Carolina committees as appropriate.
- Support and encourage college-sponsored activities.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required by the Dean, Program Manager or VP of Instruction.
Additional requirements and expectations
HCC Core Values Responsibilities
- Learn new guidelines and processes in performing duties and advising students
- Create a student-centered environment
- Work toward operational excellence; continuous improvement of processes
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and our learning community
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision, and values and promote and support coworkers in the most positive manner.
HCC ELI (Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative) Responsibilities
- Implement a team approach in the performance of tasks; work with others to analyze a situation, establish priorities, and apply resources for solving a problem or accomplishing a task
- Accept responsibility for job performance and assigned tasks; exhibit individual behaviors that support the official goals and objectives of the college and its members
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff in a professional and timely manner
- Approach problems as a learning opportunity and implement strategies to reduce problems
- Maximize resources to process information; acquire, evaluate, organize, manage, interpret, and communicate information to coworkers, faculty, staff, and students
- Exhibit flexibility and receptivity to changing technologies, methods, processes, work environments, and organizational structure and practices
Strategic Planning Responsibilities
- Financial Perspective: Maximize use of funds by efficiently managing current funds and enable new areas of growth and expansion
- Client Perspective: Work with internal partners to share information and improve processes; work with external partners and students to eliminate operational redundancies, improve accuracy, timely processing and lower costs; establish value-based partnerships with students and external partners
- Internal Perspective: Establish new services, research opportunities, enhance processes, capture customer information, track performance; support new and existing services, continually improve processes, and create flexible infrastructure
- Learning and Growing Perspective: Evaluate skill requirements; implement knowledge-sharing technologies; and develop a culture of accountability and appreciation
Operation of a college vehicle may be a requirement of this position due to the need for off-site professional development/training.
How to Apply
** IMPORTANT **
To Apply Submit:
- For official Haywood Community College employment application online and full job description please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts must be included for consideration. Unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.