Closes: Monday, July 6, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with high school and/or college age students
- Knowledge of college services including financial aid and degree completion activities is a must.
- Candidate must demonstrate ability to exercise independent judgment and also show strong organizational, communication and leadership skills.
- Successful candidate must be willing to use cell phone for work-related activities and be willing to travel.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at once while remaining composed
- Ability to retain and quickly utilize large amounts of detailed information
- Skilled at delivering presentations to both small and large groups
- Technology savvy, to include Microsoft Suite
- Self-starter who advocates for him/herself
- Creative and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must protect the confidentiality of student personal information and comply with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Must comply with all Sandhills Community College procedures and policies
GEAR UP North Carolina (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs in North Carolina) is a college access initiative funded by the U.S. Department of Education and designed to increase the number of first generation, low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
The GEAR UP Success Coach will work with Sandhills Community College and GEAR UP NC to support first year college students from target high schools. This will be done through high quality, high touch coaching, providing accountability, and facilitating successful personal development. Coaches are expected to complete various coach training programs, engage in observation and debrief processes, and complete certifications while developing and fine tuning the art and science of coaching. The GEAR UP Success Coach is also expected to encourage interest in postsecondary education and build support for student success.
The GEAR UP Success Coach will report to the Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships. The GEAR UP Success Coach and Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships will have the GEAR UP Access and Success Manager as their point of contact with GEAR UP NC.
The GEAR UP Success Coach will work with the Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships to enhance and carry out recruitment strategies at service area schools related to the Sandhills Promise Program and other Sandhills programming opportunities. Additionally, the GEAR UP Success Coach will work with the Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships to implement retention strategies for Sandhills Promise cohorts and other students receiving financial assistance.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- At the direction of the GEAR UP Access and Success Manager and the Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships, represent GEAR UP at middle and high schools and other functions to encourage interest and enrollment of students at Sandhills Community College and build support for student success.
- Help schedule, plan and conduct campus tours for both GEAR UP and Sandhills Promise students and parents as needed.
- Attend and participate in GEAR UP NC and Inside Track trainings as requested.
- Build trusting relationships with a diverse student population by delivering personalized, constructive, engaging, motivating, and informative coaching sessions.
- Coach students on developing a plan to achieve their academic and career goals by assessing values/goals, needs and obstacles.
- Manage confidential information and provide accurate student information in Inside Track and Sandhills Community College contact management system(s).
- Contact and schedule coaching sessions with students, as needed.
- Utilize online programs, such as uCoach, to assist in accountability documentation and to provide student services.
- Provide accurate and direct feedback to GEAR UP Access & Success Manager to receive assistance and foster continuous improvement.
- Project, assess and report on student likelihood to retain.
- Contribute as both an individual coach and a team member in order to further GEAR UP and Sandhills Community College’s mission and goals.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Sandhills Promise and Scholarships, Associate Vice President of Student Services, and the Vice President of Student Services.
How to Apply
Salary to be commensurate with experience and state salary schedules. Applications will be accepted until July 6, 2020. To maximize your opportunity for selection; transcripts, letter of interest, and resume must be uploaded with your application. Selection is contingent on final budget approval. Apply online at: https://www.sandhills.edu/employment-sandhills-community-college/additional-assistance-employment-sandhills-community-college/
Sandhills Community College is convinced that being around people who are different makes us more creative, more diligent, and harder working. We are committed to a campus that supports diversity in both learning and working environments, and in our outreach to our community. We are also committed to working with Veterans of our armed forces to honor their commitment to our country and learn from their experiences.