Closes: Saturday, January 15, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- High school graduate required.
- Minimum of two years work experience in grounds/maintenance.
- Ability to operate equipment such as weed eaters, trimmers, and mowers.
- Ability to stand, walk or crouch on narrow, slippery, and erratically moving surfaces; stoop, kneel, bend to pick up or move objects, office equipment, and furniture;
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing 25 pounds and to occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Normal manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision
Associate’s degree preferred.
The Grounds/Maintenance worker is responsible for maintaining attractive campus grounds and ensuring the availability and maintenance of required equipment, protecting against erosion, maintaining grounds for assemblies, recreational activities and ensuring assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner. This position will also assist in installing, repairing, and maintaining various items, and equipment.
- Clean landscaped areas and related items, example storms drains, walkways, etc. for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing trash or hazards.
- Collect waste from trash bins and ensure proper waste management procedures/best practices are adhered to.
- Maintain landscaping, to include mowing, weed eating, trimming, etc. for the purpose of preserving grounds in a healthy, attractive and safe condition.
- Plant/sow various landscaping materials, such as grass, shrubbery, flowers, trees, etc. for the purpose of keeping the campus attractive and protecting against erosion.
- Prepare campus grounds, ball fields, courtyards, flower beds, etc. for the purpose of providing adequate, attractive and safe areas for assemblies, and other activities.
- Remove snow and apply sand and salt from sidewalks, playgrounds, parking areas, etc. for the purpose of providing a safe environment for students, staff, and the general public.
- Maintain tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring the availability of items in safe operating condition for the department.
- Assist in repairing building and maintenance systems, and/or components for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition.
- Assist with minor construction or remodeling projects.
- Respond to immediate safety and or operational concerns for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues in order to maintain a functioning educational environment.
- Assist in the transport and/or setup of various items such as tools, equipment, supplies, chairs, tables, risers, sound shells, etc. for the purpose of providing materials and setup for a variety of activities.
- Be knowledgeable of and operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and college safety policies at all times.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
How to Apply
A completed Southeastern Community College application, a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Inquiries should be directed to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, 4564 Chadbourn Hwy., Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 788-6310 or (910) 788-6206. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Post Contact