Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
Closes: Monday, October 28, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. High school diploma or equivalent;
2. Valid, unrestricted driver license;
3. Six months of full-time or equivalent grounds keeping experience.
1. Two years of full-time or equivalent experience in an educational institution;
2. One year of full-time or equivalent grounds keeping experience;
3. Herbicides, Pesticides, or Forklift licenses;
4. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
Performs a variety of tasks related to the maintenance of campus grounds including mowing grass, weed eating, trimming shrubs, raking and sweeping, watering lawns, and weeding of ornamental beds. Snow removal and assisting other departments in Plant Operations.
1. Operates college vehicles and powered equipment such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles.
2. Mows, trims, and edges lawns using commercial mowers, weed-eaters/trimmers, and edgers, and performs cleanup.
3. Removes snow and ice from walks, steps, driveways, and parking lots, and spreads salt as needed.
4. Maintains lawns, trees and flower beds by mulching, aerating, weeding, trimming limbs, hedging shrubs/hedges, trimming or edging around flower beds, walks and walls.
5. Operates hand tools and power tools, for example: shovels, rakes, pruning saws, hedge/brush trimmers, axes, shears, pruners, and chain saws.
6. Gathers and removes trash and litter across campus.
7. Mixes and sprays or spreads fertilizer, herbicides or insecticides onto grass, shrubs or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
8. Maintains or repairs tools and equipment using hand or power tools.
9. Removes leaves on campus.
10. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
11. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
12. Performs other duties deemed necessary by upper management.