Elizabeth City, NC
Closes: Monday, September 27, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of landscaping or grounds maintenance and minor building maintenance experience.
- Valid driver's license or the ability to obtain one.
Training & Licenses:
- Once hired, Groundskeeper/Maintenance Technician will be required to obtain a certification as a Pesticide Applicator within the first year of employment.
- Certification must remain valid throughout employment.
- Certified Pesticide Applicator.
FLSA: Maintenance - Non-exempt
Salary is commensurate with experience
The role of the Groundskeeper/Maintenance Technician is to perform semiskilled and skilled work in the maintenance and service activities related to the facilities and grounds at College of The Albemarle (COA).
The Groundskeeper/Maintenance Technician receives supervision form the Director, Campus Facilities.
Examples of Duties
- Clean and maintain the grounds; perform basic landscaping duties.
- Operate mowers, edgers, chain saws and trimmers to cut grass; load grass bags and brush into refuse trucks.
- Rake leaves and trim hedges; prune shrubs and check for disease; pull weeds.
- Apply insecticides and pesticides to plants and weeds, as necessary.
- Clean parking lots and courtyards using a gas-powered vacuum.
- Remove trash from building grounds and empty trash cans.
- Ensure all safety and fire regulations are followed.
- Clean and maintain grounds maintenance equipment; troubleshooting equipment and perform minor repairs.
- Assist with maintenance and minor repairs of the buildings and equipment as needed [i.e. light bulb replacement, paper dispenser installation, filter changes, whiteboard installation, assembly of furniture, painting and touch-up, replacing of ceiling tiles, etc.].
- Assist with the delivery of packages from Shipping and Receiving to faculty and staff offices.
- Assist with the set up and break down of tables and chairs used for college functions.
- Attend classes and seminars related to landscaping and groundskeeping.
- Perform other related duties as required.