Alamance Community College (Main Campus)
Closes: Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associates Degree(or higher) from a regionally accredited institution in Horticulture, Agri-business, Greenhouse Production or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in horticulture related job such as:
- Landscape design/installation
- Landscape management
- Nursery operations
- Greenhouse operations
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate skills needed to communicate horticulture knowledge.
- Current North Carolina driver’s license
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively in educational/training environments
- Computer literate
- Basic Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Supervisory Experience
- Greenhouse/Hydroponic experience
- Teaching experience
- Industry Recognized Credentials (ex. North Carolina Pesticide License, Certified Plant Professional, Registered Landscape Contractor, Certified Arborist, Landscape Industry Certified, etc.)
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide support and assistance for the horticulture program to help increase student learning opportunities.
Provide management and oversight to the Horticulture grounds. This includes both the on campus Horticulture facilities as well as the Bill and Nancy Covington Education Center. Including: all greenhouses, nursery, classroom and outdoor areas.
Applicant must be willing and able to serve as lead instructor or lab assistant with continuing education and curriculum courses.
Promote the success of the college and program by participating in standing committees and following college professional and ethical guidelines.
Maintain classroom, lab and work environment by maintaining equipment and supplies, ensuring overall cleanliness, functionality, and conformance to OSHA standards to provide a safe work environment.
Stay current in chosen field by meeting or exceeding all institutional professional development guidelines, participating in professional development workshops and seminars, and participating in professional organizations in the field of Horticulture.
Example of Duties:
- Manage departmental student workers
- Maintenance of classroom and laboratory areas (including greenhouses, nursery and outdoor areas occasionally requiring weekend and holiday maintenance)
- Successful candidate must have the ability to operate equipment associated with the horticulture department
- Landscape and farm equipment operation and maintenance
- Assist the department head in maintaining an accurate inventory of program supplies
- Assist with recruitment activities
- Assist with instructional lab setup and maintenance
- Travel to industry conferences with students and faculty
- Carry out other duties as assigned
The position reports to the Department Head of Horticulture Technology and will work in conjunction with the curriculum program.
How to Apply
An ACC on-line application MUST be fully completed for consideration, which includes a required letter of interest, transcript attachment. Resume attachments are welcome but will not be accepted in lieu of complete application