133 James Sprunt Drive Kenansville, NC 28349
Closes: Monday, January 17, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Practices, processes, and materials used in building, maintenance, and construction.
Ability and knowledge to operate power and hand tools in a safe manner.
Proper methods for lifting and moving heavy objects.
Safety practices common to building, maintenance, and construction.
Safety requirements for handling toxic or hazardous materials.
Work cooperatively with others.
Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Knowledge of basic maintenance tools and equipment.
Ability to read and interpret schematics and blue prints.
Ability to operate custodial and maintenance equipment.
Must utilize safety equipment at all times.
Flexible and adapts to change.
Ability to communicate effectively through speech and writing.
Ability to identify, communicate and analyze problems.
Ability to take ownership and utilize constructive feedback.
Must be punctual, professional and conduct oneself in an ethical manner.
Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
Ability to work respectfully within a team environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill and abilities.
Required: High school diploma or GED plus 3-5 years directly related work experience; or 1-year diploma and 1 – 2 years directly related work experience in HVAC maintenance. Forklift operator certification and refrigerant handling certificate or the ability to obtain a certificate within six months of employment. Valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
Preferred: Bilingual; Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Required: Some experience in various aspects of electrical repairs, installations, and other maintenance-related fields.
Preferred: Some supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and work in areas of confined space. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, and taste and smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, texture perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires extensive local travel.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisor personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
James Sprunt Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College prohibits discrimination against any person (including staff, faculty or student body) on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
If you need assistance or accommodations please contact 910-296-2400.
HIRING SALARY RANGE
MINIMUM SALARY: $28,189.00
MAXIMUM SALARY: Depends on qualifications
The position is to provide preventive maintenance and operation of plant equipment for all phases of campus maintenance, including both routine and non-routine maintenance and general repair of the plant site. The position reports to the Director of Physical Facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities the ability to perform the essential functions.
- Operates diagnoses, analyzes and records findings on all HVAC equipment including boilers, chillers, pumps, motors, air handling units and cooling towers.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot refrigeration and air conditioner equipment and make necessary repairs.
- Create and edit control schedules for the campus HVAC system.
- HVAC repair and monitor control system.
- Performs preventive maintenance; repairs and/or replaces assigned HVAC equipment, including pneumatic and electronic.
- Initiate requisitions for HVAC supplies and equipment when required.
- Create and performs preventive maintenance programs.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot electrical failures and issues, make necessary repairs, and/or work with contractors to solve issues.
- Be knowledgeable in working with vendors to place orders for parts and equipment; understand the protocol for ordering parts and equipment.
- Reads and interprets data from charts, gauges, dials, blueprints, schematics, and technical manuals as needed when making adjustments, repairs or installations.
- Ensures the building is ready for staff and students in all areas of assigned responsibility to include: lights, general maintenance, and HVAC; replacing lamps and ballasts as needed.
- Perform routine repairs to all institutional facilities, equipment, furniture, and fixtures.
- Move, set up, and install furniture to meet special institutional needs.
- Manage college’s electronic, environmental, and climate control systems.
- Assist in various campus repair projects.
- Assist in grounds maintenance and beautification.
- Assist in providing campus security by ensuring that facilities are properly locked and unlocked.
- Pick up and deliver campus mail to and from the post office.
- In consultation with the supervisor, identify a set of goals and objectives to be completed annually.
- Follows proper safety procedures.
- Monitors, implements, and coordinates provisions of the College’s emergency management plans.
- Attend required meetings, including participation in graduation.
- Participate in scheduled staff development activities
- Assist with equipment and software maintenance.
- Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to the position.
- Maintain security of personal computer access.
- Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned.
- Serve on college committees as directed by supervisor.