Main Campus, Graham, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate's degree in Art, Advertising & Graphic Design or a related field
- Drawing skills using 1, 2 and 3-point perspectives
- Demonstrated proficiency in in hand drawing using various media
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in an art or graphic communication field
- Previous teaching experience in a higher-education setting
Alamance Community College (ACC) is seeking an Adjunct Instructor to teach Illustration classes in the Advertising & Graphic Design Department. The Advertising and Graphic Design curriculum is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the graphic design profession, which emphasizes design, advertising, illustration, and digital and multimedia preparation of printed and electronic materials. The Illustration instructor would teach students:
- Rendering techniques to create illustrations
- Historical styles and techniques of illustration
- Relationship of illustration style to content, meaning and purpose
- Importance of selection, manipulation and exaggeration in illustration
- How to create art samples
- How ability to create one- and two-point perspective drawings
- The importance of illustration within the graphic design field
- How to create line art samples
- The responsibilities of illustrator to art director or client
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Provide effective instruction to students in the classroom by preparing for each learning experience, providing supplemental electronic materials to enhance lessons, using effective evaluation methods to evaluate student performance.
- Support student learning outside of the classroom by holding regular office hours, providing information about additional resources outside of class, and responding to emails and phone calls in a timely manner so as to promote student success.
- Support curriculum development by participating in the evaluation and growth of course curriculum.
- Maintain teaching and work environment by maintaining equipment and supplies, ensuring overall cleanliness, functionality, and conformance to OSHA standards to provide a safe work environment.
- Stay current in chosen field and teaching methodology by meeting or exceeding all institutional professional development guidelines, participating in professional development workshops and seminars, and participating in professional.
- Maintain accurate records such as attendance, grades, information for accreditation, and other important data and submit reports according to college policies.
How to Apply
An ACC on-line application MUST be fully completed for consideration, which includes a required letter of interest, transcript attachment and philosophy of teaching and learning as it relates to the community college setting. Resume attachments are welcome but will not be accepted in lieu of complete application.
Applicants should be prepared to present their portfolio and give a written statement on their philosophy of teaching and learning.