Southeastern North Carolina
Closes: Sunday, February 28, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate Degree in Computer Science and three years of related work experience is required.
- Two years’ experience with providing direct support to customers with “hands-on” assistance as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills
- Willing to work nights and weekends as required
- Two to five years experience working in an educational setting.
- Experience with VMware ESXi, VMware vCenter, and VMware View.
- Experience with Windows Active Directory.
The Information Systems (IS) Specialist position involves highly technical, specialized work in the maintenance, support, administration and installation of desktop computers, laptops, zero clients, telephones, printers, scanners, servers, network storage, webcams, and other information systems related equipment. The IS Specialist provides information systems support in a help desk environment by performing hardware and software installations, troubleshooting, configuring, and solving hardware, software, and complex data and telecommunication network problems over the telephone, through remote administration software, or through on-site visits.
- Serve as initial point-of-contact with users to identify and resolve their hardware, software, communications, and networking problems;
- Provide hardware and software support for desktop computers, laptops, zero clients, telephones, network systems, and other equipment;
- Install, configure, upgrade, and troubleshoot problems related to hardware, software, and other equipment;
- Perform all functions required to prepare and install/move information systems equipment to include installing, configuring, and troubleshooting data/voice equipment, connections, cabling, switches, etc. to assure an appropriate level of service;
- Install, configure, test, and document new and updated releases of software and hardware;
- Diagnose, track, resolve, and document information system problems;
- Analyzes complex computer hardware, software, and network equipment problems to determine causes of failure, implements appropriate solutions according to established departmental standards, and recommends appropriate action/steps to be taken to avoid similar future problems;
- Perform routine information systems equipment maintenance;
- Assist/Train users on how best to utilize information systems in the performance of their assigned duties in accordance with best practices and established policies;
- Stays abreast of current trends and developments in the field of information systems to include researching regulations, procedures and/or technical reference materials as necessary;
- Maintain databases, procedures, and other departmental documentation;
- Maintain information systems backups in accordance with best practices and departmental policies;
- Evaluate and recommend the suitability of new proposed hardware/software;
- Maintain repair parts and supply inventory levels;
- Enforce Information Systems Policies and Procedures;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Information Technology.
Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of computers, telephones, and data/telecommunication network architecture;
- Knowledge of communications protocol and standards;
- Experience providing direct customer support preferred with a commitment and the ability to serve students, faculty, staff, and a community with diverse cultural, educational and experiential backgrounds;
- Experience with computer software to include the Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet browsers, Google email, etc.;
- Experience repairing computer, telephones, and related equipment;
- Ability to diagnose and resolve hardware and/or software problems by use of excellent troubleshooting skills;
- Committed to serving as a productive team member;
- Ability to read, interpret and apply complex technical information;
- Ability to use the Internet to perform research, diagnose and resolve problems, and download software;
- Ability to set priorities and work independently;
- Flexible and willing to learn new technologies and embrace rapid change;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to service equipment;
- Ability to push, lift, and carry equipment that weight up to 40 lbs.;
- Ability to perform all aspects of the job.
How to Apply
Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request. Salary is dependent upon qualifications, experience and labor market. This position is to be filled no later than March 1, 2021.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (on SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Deadline for receipt of applications is 5:00 p.m. on February 8, 2021. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P. O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 310.
An Equal Employment Opportunity
Job Post Contact