Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
Closes: Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field;
2. Three years of accounting experience with some fund accounting experience.
1. Master’s degree in Accounting or related field;
2. CPA or CPA candidate;
3. Accounting experience in a Community College or University;
4. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
This position works with a high degree of independence in performing accounting and financial activities for the College. Successful performance of the work requires thorough knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures, fund accounting and fiscal management. This position performs advanced work of an accounting nature in the examination, verification, reconciliation, and analysis of fiscal records and reports. Prepares financial and statistical reports (including profit and loss statements and audits) and provides advice and information on accounting practices and procedures. Uses federal and state regulations and reference materials; College policies, procedures and budget; and principles of governmental accounting in performance of the work. Exercise independent judgment, discretion, and initiative in completing assignments in a timely manner.
1. Prepares accurate and timely month end close reports, non-state payroll reimbursement checks, payroll remittances, and Workers Comp Audit;
2. Assists in preparation and loading of Institutional college budget in Ellucian;
3. Provides final approval of invoices for Institutional funds;
4. Balances and reconciles bank statements; researches and reconciles any problems or discrepancies;
5. Deposits all monies daily in state, institutional and local funds and transmits “Analysis of Deposit” to DCC;
6. Assists with monthly sales tax calculation and Foreign National Tax Compliance;
7. Assists with preparation of annual financial statements and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and plays a key role in the year-end close process;
8. Prepares reports involving assigned accounts and/or funds ensuring compliance with all applicable statutory, regulatory, and/or College requirements;
9. Ensures proper accountability of federal funds including requesting cash and preparing the required reports;
10. Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger and subsidiary accounts;
11. Assists departmental personnel with budget/accounting questions, proper expenditure coding, document processing and other accounting related activities;
12. Prepares various financial monthly/annual reports to federal and state agencies as required;
13. Provides timely and accurate customer service to external agencies and fellow staff;
14. Assists in the development and implementation of training for staff across College departments with the intent of using these training tools to be used for College-wide training on an ongoing basis;
15. Provides backup, training, and support to all critical functions of the business office;
16. Manages interface with merchant services;
17. Ensures PCI compliance;
18. Manages payment gateway for auxiliaries and Official Payments;
19. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement;
20. Performs other duties as assigned.