Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
Closes: Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: A Master's degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school.
Experience Minimum: None
Preferred: Five years of experience serving as librarian OR 5 years teaching in a secondary or post-secondary institution.
Under administrative leadership, it is the responsibility of the regular/contract college librarian to participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of learning resource programs that will contribute to the educational growth of the college community and support advancement of the visions, missions, and values of the College.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a library liaison to specified programs for the primary purposes of marketing and collection development.
- Participate in departmental meetings of assigned deanships for the purpose of marketing library services and resources.
- Confer with classroom faculty on library visits, activities, and requested resources for their classes.
- Develop and manage collections in assigned subject areas in order to meet faculty, curriculum, and accreditation standards.
- Plan, develop, and teach library and information literacy instruction for both liaison areas and other classes and departments as needed, including both face-to-face and online formats
- Create marketing materials that promote usage of the library and its resources.
- Assist in maintaining and updating the library's website and online databases.
- Serve as an embedded librarian for designated classes within one's assigned deanships.
- Serve as consultant to faculty regarding assignment creation.
- Identify and create materials, for on-campus and off-campus locations, to facilitate the effective use of the learning resources.
- Facilitate instruction as an embedded librarian as requested by the faculty member.
- Support student research through scheduled 1:1 consultations.
- Answer all reference questions and recommend appropriate books, multimedia, and online resources to students, faculty, staff and patrons.
- Assist with and compile data reports for the following: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and Institutional Effectiveness (IE); creates other reports for the Lead Librarian as assigned
- Participate in the creation and implementation of various evaluative assessments for the library services and resources.
- Connect with external educational and community partners to develop programming to meet their needs and increase usage of the library and its services.
- Assist students, faculty, staff and patrons with use of public access catalog, Internet and other electronic information retrieval systems.
- Assist with selecting, receiving, organizing, and cataloging books, multimedia, and other materials and equipment.
- Assist with collection development, collection assessment, archiving and purging activities.
- Perform inventories of all library collections.
- Manage, troubleshoot and resolve library hardware and software issues.
- Creates photo IDs.
- Support the total mission of the college through attendance of various college functions.
- Other duties as assigned including occasional on and off campus days and evening hours.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have experience with library management systems and should be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk; stoop or kneel; reach with hands and arms; use hands and fingers; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact